Columbia Junction Project

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Columbia Junction Project

Postby Shawmut1 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:00 am

Does anyone know the scope of the project? It seems that a lot of focus has been on replacing the non-revenue tracks to Cabot while the southbound Braintree tracks have had a 10 mph limit for over 2 years and northbound not much better.
Shawmut1

Re: Columbia Junction Project

Postby diburning » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:38 am

I don't know why the SB Braintree tracks have a speed limit, but Columbia Junction is a REALLY rough ride. The trains rock back and forth violently even at low speeds. You can hear thumping sounds (and on the 01800s a "boing" as well) when passing through that junction.
diburning

Postby The EGE » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:51 pm

The MBTA's list of upcoming solicitations includes one for a $2 million contract for "Savin Hill Flyover". Is this related to the Columbia Junction project?
The EGE

Postby BostonUrbEx » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:05 pm

The EGE wrote:The MBTA's list of upcoming solicitations includes one for a $2 million contract for "Savin Hill Flyover". Is this related to the Columbia Junction project?

Sounds like it is more related to the I-93 add-a-HOV, where the tracks will be rearranged. But seems way too early for that.

I just love vague project titles, MBTA!
BostonUrbEx

Postby MBTA3247 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:06 pm

I'd say it's related to the bridge over the former freight spur just south of Savin Hill. Maybe they'll finally remove it.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby djimpact1 » Thu May 15, 2014 2:05 pm

Does anyone know if this project is slated to be completed "on time"? The projection from the T was June, 2014 (http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/t_pr ... p?id=26367).

Seeing as though there are plenty more diversions coming up to accommodate work on this again (5/17 - 5/18, 5/31 - 6/1, 6/14 - 6/15 & 6/21 - 6/22), since I haven't heard/seen a peep about this, I'm getting skeptical it's "swept under the rug" in terms of having public pressure put on to get the project done in a timely manner.

(Please, no snarky jokes about the T & "on time")
A non-foaming rail enthusiast.

Member of a yet-to-be-determined transit social group
Do what you do, do it often, do it well....
djimpact1

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Thu May 15, 2014 5:49 pm

Shawmut1 wrote:Does anyone know the scope of the project? It seems that a lot of focus has been on replacing the non-revenue tracks to Cabot while the southbound Braintree tracks have had a 10 mph limit for over 2 years and northbound not much better.

From what I have noticed while passing thru on the Middleboro MainLine, is that yes, the yard lead tracks have been the focus of attention early on, but I am noticing that new signals have been erected, and what I assume, is going to be work on the mainline tracks next...If it is anything like the commuter rail, yard tracks, umm don't see much attention unless urgent focus is required. This work was probably needed in the grand scheme of things, just an educated guess on my part. With the whole Junction project, I'm sure the yard tracks were a big part of it too
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)