Parking Questions / Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Parking Questions / Discussion

Postby wicked » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:07 pm

MBTA3247 wrote:I imagine that Home Depot doesn't want commuters using its lot.

Last I drove by there, I thought they were renting out part of their lot to commuters. I could be wrong.
wicked

Postby MBTA3247 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:41 am

3rdrail wrote:Now Derek, you're getting awfully naughty !

???
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby CSX Conductor » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:43 pm

Alewife last month showed as being Full according to the signs,,,,,,,but there was plenty of parking.....and that's the last time I'll go there. $7/day, forget it....and I wouldn't be surprised if they went up more.

It's cheaper to just drive into town.
CSX Conductor

Postby jonnhrr » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:01 pm

Parking downtown seems to mostly range $30 - $40 with a few around $20. Seems like it would still be cheaper to pay the $7 at alewife plus the T fare.
Although you miss out on the fun of Boston traffic!

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby jamesinclair » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:13 am

jonnhrr wrote:Parking downtown seems to mostly range $30 - $40 with a few around $20. Seems like it would still be cheaper to pay the $7 at alewife plus the T fare.
Although you miss out on the fun of Boston traffic!

Jon

Not necessarily on weekends. Parking goes for $9 downtown.
jamesinclair

Postby djimpact1 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:19 am

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/cam ... ith_c.html
Article from the Boston Globe, concerning 5 MBTA lots that will be accepting debit/credit card payment.

Now I can take the Red Line out of Braintree without the need of going to the ATM first! CharlieCard & parking fee BOTH on my debit...yes please!

(FYI, my favorite line of the article is "...Davey said the payment option will “frankly bring us again into the 20th Century” ", proving our beloved T isn't aiming for current-century service, ha.)
A non-foaming rail enthusiast.

Member of a yet-to-be-determined transit social group
Do what you do, do it often, do it well....
djimpact1

Postby BigUglyCat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:32 am

djimpact1 wrote:...(FYI, my favorite line of the article is "...Davey said the payment option will “frankly bring us again into the 20th Century” ", proving our beloved T isn't aiming for current-century service, ha.)

He's being accurate, though; this is 20th century technology.

I have to say, in private industry, a 7-year payback would be frowned upon. :)
BigUglyCat

Re: Quick question about Alewife

Postby boblothrope » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:43 pm

boblothrope wrote:Some improvements to the Alewife garage are underway.

Yesterday some brand new parking payment machines appeared in the station lobby. They're not turned on yet. They'll let people pay before returning to their cars, which should speed up the lines to exit in the afternoon rush. And they take credit cards.

They installed the guts of the machines last week, but they're still not turned on.

We'll see if they're ready by the end of July, like the Globe article said.
boblothrope

Postby TrainManTy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:10 pm

New signs were installed recently (this past week?) at Westborough reserving three spaces for electric or hybrid vehicles.

Photo
Tyler

All posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak for any organizations on this board.
TrainManTy

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:29 pm

Unless they have charging stations at those spaces, that seems rather ridiculous to me.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby boblothrope » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:53 pm

boblothrope wrote:They installed the guts of the machines last week, but they're still not turned on.

Well, they didn't meet the July goal.

But today they were working on the lobby machines at Alewife, as well as the new exit booths at the eastern helix ramps.
boblothrope

Postby boblothrope » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:08 pm

boblothrope wrote:
boblothrope wrote:They installed the guts of the machines last week, but they're still not turned on.

Well, they didn't meet the July goal.

But today they were working on the lobby machines at Alewife, as well as the new exit booths at the eastern helix ramps.

The new parking prepayment machines at Alewife went live on Saturday August 11th. The eastern helix exit ramp will be open something like 3 to 11 pm weekdays. The existing exit ramp will remain open at all times.

For now they have a parking attendant helping people use the machines. It will be interesting to see how they handle the crowds coming off the train in the afternoon rush -- hundreds of people who *all* have to use those 5 machines every time (since there's no equivalent of a stored value Charlie Card or monthly pass for parking).
boblothrope

Postby diburning » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:28 am

Well, it's better to have them bunch up at the machines in person than to have them drive up to the booth and sit there checking their floor mats for coins... People take up a lot less space than cars!
diburning

Postby SM89 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:38 am

diburning wrote:Well, it's better to have them bunch up at the machines in person than to have them drive up to the booth and sit there checking their floor mats for coins... People take up a lot less space than cars!

and less idling means better air quality!
SM89

Postby agarturbo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:01 pm

SM89 wrote:
diburning wrote:Well, it's better to have them bunch up at the machines in person than to have them drive up to the booth and sit there checking their floor mats for coins... People take up a lot less space than cars!

and less idling means better air quality!

You guys have never been to Alewife - right? The backup at the booths during rush hour has less to do with paying parking and more to do with traffic - it's close to grid lock there between 5-6:30 PM.

So, they are no longer accepting cash a the booths (I was there a noon today - they took my cash, but had to go to the office to get change for a $10 - they had no cash in the booth). This means that everybody is going to have to go to the 5 machines (which I did not even see when I was there, so they are not between the exit gates and the stairway/escalator/elevators). Lets say there are 100 people per rush hour train (that's probably low). That means a line 20 deep at each machine. At a minute per person (which is probably low) it will take 20 minutes to get through the line. With rush hour trains coming in every 5 minutes (supposedly) you can figure out what a mess paying is going to become. Then, you'll have X minutes to take your paid card and get out of the garage. Guess what - that's when the traffic hits you. It can take more than 30 minutes to get out of the garage. What happens when your exit ticket expires? Do you have to pay another $7? I can see a lot of really irate customers coming out of this. But what can you do? The farce of a public process with the fare increase shows that the T is going to do what the T wants to do regardless of it's impacts on it customers.
Trains don't run on schedules, son. They run on tracks.
agarturbo

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)