Parking Questions / Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Parking Questions / Discussion

Postby agarturbo » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:59 am

As a parker who received a ticket AFTER paying with ParkMobile, I would say that the problem is not the $21 (a fine is a fine), but the fact that the only way avoid it after getting the ticket is to pay the parking fee by mail and THEY have RECEIVE it withing 3 days. Otherwise the fine kicks in. Thats a pretty short leash to resolve disputes. My ticket was voided when I was able to prove that I had paid through ParkMobile, but what a pain.
Trains don't run on schedules, son. They run on tracks.
agarturbo

Postby diburning » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:57 pm

3 Days? If you're from out of state, the post office probably won't deliver it in that timeframe.
diburning

Quick question about Alewife

Postby jamesinclair » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:53 pm

This shall be a short topic.

Alewfie station parking always fills up early. Marathon Monday, is it more likely to be empty (people not working) or more likely to be full (people going to marathon)?

Anyone have experience with that?

Family member asking me about using transit to go downtown Monday and Im not sure if theyd be best with alewife or the lowell line. Dont want to send them to alewife at 8:30am and have it be full.
jamesinclair

Re: Quick question about Alewife

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:49 pm

jamesinclair wrote:This shall be a short topic.

Alewfie station parking always fills up early. Marathon Monday, is it more likely to be empty (people not working) or more likely to be full (people going to marathon)?

Anyone have experience with that?

Family member asking me about using transit to go downtown Monday and Im not sure if theyd be best with alewife or the lowell line. Dont want to send them to alewife at 8:30am and have it be full.

I would say it's far more likely it's going to fill up earlier than normal or same as usual. Not that many people have the day totally off from work, and Route 2 + Alewife is going to be one of the less congested entrypoints into the city for out-of-towners coming for the Marathon and early-bird Sox game.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby boblothrope » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:23 pm

Does Alewife really fill up on a typical weekday? As of a few years ago it didn't.

There are electronic signs on some nearby roads. But recently they've been stuck displaying "PA ING UI L" 24/7.
boblothrope

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:25 am

boblothrope wrote:

Does Alewife really fill up on a typical weekday? As of a few years ago it didn't.

There are electronic signs on some nearby roads. But recently they've been stuck displaying "PA ING UI L" 24/7.

Oh hell yes. I don't know if the traffic's been increasing or what, but people I know who commute in say it's panic time and a Plan B trip to Wellington some days if you don't make it by 8:30. The non-malfunctioning signs by the garage entrances bear that out.

On my morning jog around Fresh Pond just now I can say the traffic jam on 16 at the Cambridgepark Dr. light was little different from the typical weekday. Garage may not fill up all the way today, but I bet it's roof-deck parking for folks coming in later for the Sox/Marathon.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby jamesinclair » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:42 am

Thanks. he ended up going to the absurdly priced wedgmere. And yes, the garage fills up. We once got lucky and were the second to last car allowed in (parking was actually done on the ramp)
jamesinclair

Postby boblothrope » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:39 pm

Some improvements to the Alewife garage are underway.

Yesterday some brand new parking payment machines appeared in the station lobby. They're not turned on yet. They'll let people pay before returning to their cars, which should speed up the lines to exit in the afternoon rush. And they take credit cards.

They've also been installing new booths in one of the usually-closed helix exits near the end of the Minuteman bike path.

I hope this is part of a bigger plan to reduce the huge traffic jams getting out of the station and onto Route 2 in the afternoon. A 45-minute traffic jam after getting off the train is not the way to encourage transit ridership.
boblothrope

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:34 am

Oak Grove and Lechmere are going up to $6 on Sunday, July 1. They are currently $5.50.
BostonUrbEx

Postby jwhite07 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:58 pm

Why cant they come up with a device ,like an ATM machine, where you insert cash ( or a credit card ) , a receipt is spit out, and then you return to your autocar and place this receipt on the dash so that it can be seen by the parking agent.

They can. And that is precisely what they do at Fitchburg and North Leominster (although the North Leominster lot is presently ripped up to build a parking garage).
jwhite07

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:53 am

jwhite07 wrote:
Why cant they come up with a device ,like an ATM machine, where you insert cash ( or a credit card ) , a receipt is spit out, and then you return to your autocar and place this receipt on the dash so that it can be seen by the parking agent.

They can. And that is precisely what they do at Fitchburg and North Leominster (although the North Leominster lot is presently ripped up to build a parking garage).

It's also done in Melrose. But Melrose owns the parking spaces, the parking machines, and gets all the parking revenue.
BostonUrbEx

Postby diburning » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:11 pm

Fitchburg and North Leominster's lots are owned by MART.
diburning

Postby wicked » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:20 pm

Bringing this topic back ... I'm moving back to the area, will be living in Bridgewater near stations on the Middleborough and Kingston/Plymouth lines, and working near JFK/UMass. But I looked at the fares and parking ($20ish a day) and realized driving to Quincy Adams and parking may make more sense. Anywho...at what time does the QA garage fill up? What about the Home Depot lot?
wicked

Postby MBTA3247 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:47 pm

From what has been discussed in another thread here, the QA garage is not currently being used to capacity, though that could change now that the Quincy Center garage is closed.

I imagine that Home Depot doesn't want commuters using its lot.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby 3rdrail » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:44 pm

Now Derek, you're getting awfully naughty !
Attachments
clue1.jpg
clue1.jpg (73.73 KiB) Viewed 2959 times
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)