Providence Train Misrouted at Canton Junction

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Providence Train Misrouted at Canton Junction

Postby twropr » Wed May 02, 2012 7:55 pm

On Mon. the 30th #819 was routed to the Stoughton Branch instead of proceeding straight ahead at Junction towards Providence. Is it rare for trains to be misrouted there, or does Junction need to get route indicators?

Andy
twropr
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: Providence train misrouted at Junction

Postby BostonUrbEx » Wed May 02, 2012 7:57 pm

It's rare for a train to be misrouted anywhere.

People are making way too big of a stink over this though. Just because they were accidentally sending this train to Stoughton, doesn't mean it was on a collision course. There's still signals and cabsignals...
User avatar
BostonUrbEx
 
Posts: 3603
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:55 pm
Location: Winn to MPT 8, Boston to MPN 38, and Hat to Bank

Re: Providence train misrouted at Junction

Postby AEM7AC920 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:27 pm

The dispatcher prob goofed on well... The engineer should of picked up on it since he would of been running on an approach limited imstead of a clear.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:51 pm
Location: Unkown.....

Re: Providence train misrouted at Junction

Postby ThirdRail7 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:35 pm

AEM7AC920 wrote:The dispatcher prob goofed on well... The engineer should of picked up on it since he would of been running on an approach limited imstead of a clear.


if he was running on approach limited how do you know the engineer didn't think he was going to run left handed (2 track) to Mansfield?
I want my road foreman!
ThirdRail7
 
Posts: 3968
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:07 pm

Re: Providence Train Misrouted at Canton Junction

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Thu May 03, 2012 10:55 am

How far after the switch did the train go until it stopped?

I assume they stopped the train immediately and just backed up?
theseaandalifesaver
 
Posts: 678
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:34 pm
Location: PLZ NO TRUMP, USA

Re: Providence Train Misrouted at Canton Junction

Postby frrc » Thu May 03, 2012 1:19 pm

Avatar: Self Portrait, Railroad Office
Renaissance Restorations LLC
Leominster, MA 01453

My Sites: Architectual Restorations
User avatar
frrc
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:31 am
Location: Leominster, MA

Re: Providence Train Misrouted at Canton Junction

Postby Rbts Stn » Thu May 03, 2012 2:05 pm

“The engineer did a great job. He knows the route and realized he was on the wrong tracks,” Pesaturo said, noting the engineer hit the brakes and halted the train before it got very far from the switch


Well I should hope he'd recognize that he went the wrong way. Is this "gold star" effort?
User avatar
Rbts Stn
 
Posts: 587
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:09 pm
Location: waiting for an "A" train to Watertown

Re: Providence train misrouted at Junction

Postby AEM7AC920 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:06 pm

ThirdRail7 wrote:
AEM7AC920 wrote:The dispatcher prob goofed on well... The engineer should of picked up on it since he would of been running on an approach limited imstead of a clear.


if he was running on approach limited how do you know the engineer didn't think he was going to run left handed (2 track) to Mansfield?


The dispatcher would call to alert him that he would be operating #2 track jct to Mansfield int.. If not then that should raise red flags right there.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:51 pm
Location: Unkown.....

Re: Providence Train Misrouted at Canton Junction

Postby AEM7AC920 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:17 pm

theseaandalifesaver wrote:How far after the switch did the train go until it stopped?

I assume they stopped the train immediately and just backed up?


Read the link posted it explains... You can't just back a train up anywhere without going through the proper procedures. To make matters more complicated are the cab signals and ACSES.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:51 pm
Location: Unkown.....

Re: Providence train misrouted at Junction

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:46 pm

AEM7AC920 wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:
AEM7AC920 wrote:The dispatcher prob goofed on well... The engineer should of picked up on it since he would of been running on an approach limited imstead of a clear.


if he was running on approach limited how do you know the engineer didn't think he was going to run left handed (2 track) to Mansfield?


The dispatcher would call to alert him that he would be operating #2 track jct to Mansfield int.. If not then that should raise red flags right there.



eeehhh not all the Dispatchers advise if they are running trains left handed or not
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050
 
Posts: 3498
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:57 pm

Re: Providence train misrouted at Junction

Postby AEM7AC920 » Thu May 03, 2012 9:22 pm

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
AEM7AC920 wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:
AEM7AC920 wrote:The dispatcher prob goofed on well... The engineer should of picked up on it since he would of been running on an approach limited imstead of a clear.


if he was running on approach limited how do you know the engineer didn't think he was going to run left handed (2 track) to Mansfield?


The dispatcher would call to alert him that he would be operating #2 track jct to Mansfield int.. If not then that should raise red flags right there.



eeehhh not all the Dispatchers advise if they are running trains left handed or not


Doesn't surprise me but haven't ran into the situation yet where the dispatcher didnt give a heads up saying we would be running left handed.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:51 pm
Location: Unkown.....

Re: Providence Train Misrouted at Canton Junction

Postby CSX Conductor » Thu May 03, 2012 9:52 pm

It bothers me sometimes when dispatchers call me to say I'll be running left handed. I can already tell by my signal or cab signals. Pesaturo makes it sound like the engineer is a hero and avoided a deadly accident...as usual the press is blowing it into more than it needa to be.

Since I'm outta town this was the first I heard of this....not sure what happened to whoever was working the Corridor desk.
User avatar
CSX Conductor
 
Posts: 5458
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:04 am
Location: Boston, Mass

Re: Providence Train Misrouted at Canton Junction

Postby CRail » Fri May 04, 2012 1:33 pm

I read the comments, I'm glad that there are some people who post to those that have a clue what they're talking about. I think our own Urbey spoke pretty well too!

I find it disgraceful as another human that people make such irrational comments about something they know nothing about.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
User avatar
CRail
 
Posts: 2132
Joined: Tue May 18, 2004 8:27 am
Location: Eastie

Re: Providence Train Misrouted at Canton Junction

Postby jr145 » Fri May 04, 2012 3:41 pm

CRail wrote:I read the comments, I'm glad that there are some people who post to those that have a clue what they're talking about. I think our own Urbey spoke pretty well too!

I find it disgraceful as another human that people make such irrational comments about something they know nothing about.



You obviously don't read the paper that often.
jr145
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:51 pm
Location: Permanently on the ground

Re: Providence Train Misrouted at Canton Junction

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri May 04, 2012 8:45 pm

CRail wrote:I read the comments, I'm glad that there are some people who post to those that have a clue what they're talking about. I think our own Urbey spoke pretty well too!

I find it disgraceful as another human that people make such irrational comments about something they know nothing about.


I had to. I registered on the Herald site to comment on that article. I couldn't take it anymore -- the typical Herald commenter must have the IQ of... well... I don't even know what to say without insulting whatever I compare them to! I'm glad I finally registered, so now I have no excuse not to lash at them. Heh.
User avatar
BostonUrbEx
 
Posts: 3603
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:55 pm
Location: Winn to MPT 8, Boston to MPN 38, and Hat to Bank


Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arlington, Echo33d and 8 guests