Ocean City Service

Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

Re: Ocean City Service

Postby railworker1987 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:05 pm

I'm friends with a Gentleman who is majority of the responsibility of why the right of way still exist and has been demolished completely, that he's working on getting A light rail service type motive power back into OC just like the RiverLine that runs Trenton to Camden. He states that all you have to do is lay it in the road like they did in Camden and use the old 10 st. Station. NJT Still owns the right of way even though the ignorance of people caused them to build close and or plant gardens on right of way, but SOL to them if they do such an operation they'll lose their stupid gardens. They could even incorporate a bath out to the old bridge and build a pier so that the fisherman don't complain.
railworker1987

Postby JJMDiMunno » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:50 pm

railworker1987 wrote:I'm friends with a Gentleman who is majority of the responsibility of why the right of way still exist and has been demolished completely, that he's working on getting A light rail service type motive power back into OC just like the RiverLine that runs Trenton to Camden. He states that all you have to do is lay it in the road like they did in Camden and use the old 10 st. Station. NJT Still owns the right of way even though the ignorance of people caused them to build close and or plant gardens on right of way, but SOL to them if they do such an operation they'll lose their stupid gardens. They could even incorporate a bath out to the old bridge and build a pier so that the fisherman don't complain.

Didn't they sell a portion of the ROW for that branch to the city of Ocean City? The portion north of 36th street is mostly part of Haven Avenue now...I'm pretty sure that is owned by the city...

Mike DiMunno
~Mike DiMunno
CSAO Beesley Point Secondary - MP 8.69 (Magnolia, NJ)
Moderator: Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines :: Penn Central
JJMDiMunno

Postby PARailWiz » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:50 am

JJMDiMunno wrote:
railworker1987 wrote:I'm friends with a Gentleman who is majority of the responsibility of why the right of way still exist and has been demolished completely, that he's working on getting A light rail service type motive power back into OC just like the RiverLine that runs Trenton to Camden. He states that all you have to do is lay it in the road like they did in Camden and use the old 10 st. Station. NJT Still owns the right of way even though the ignorance of people caused them to build close and or plant gardens on right of way, but SOL to them if they do such an operation they'll lose their stupid gardens. They could even incorporate a bath out to the old bridge and build a pier so that the fisherman don't complain.

Didn't they sell a portion of the ROW for that branch to the city of Ocean City? The portion north of 36th street is mostly part of Haven Avenue now...I'm pretty sure that is owned by the city...

Mike DiMunno

Did they ever even truly "own" the portion in Haven Avenue? Normally when railroads run in street they have some right by City Ordinance to be there or some other government permit.
The picture to the right is a photo of Silverliner I 246 located at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg, PA.
PARailWiz

Postby nayaugpark52 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:37 am

It isn't James Riffin, is it?
nayaugpark52

Postby WaitinginSJ » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:41 pm

For the most part I'm for it, but I don't think it can run exactly up the old right of way. Maybe looking at something that connects to Sommers Point and A.C.? Definitely should be more direct than the old route.
"Watch the Tram Car Please"
WaitinginSJ

Postby JJMDiMunno » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:03 pm

Part of the old ROW could be utilized I think...particularly the portion geographically south of 36th Street down to 51st. That's all railroad-intact and still undeveloped...

I do agree however that the route should head in the direction of Atlantic City, and possibly mimic the route of the old SFL once you get geographically out of Ocean City.

Mike DiMunno
~Mike DiMunno
CSAO Beesley Point Secondary - MP 8.69 (Magnolia, NJ)
Moderator: Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines :: Penn Central
JJMDiMunno

Postby EDM5970 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:52 am

I don't think Mr. Riffin is involved personally in this one. I understand that he has delegated this project to his Chief Financial Officer, one Eric Strohmeyer. I heard a rumor that they are going to put traction motors under the Boonton Ping-Pongs and string up some catenary. (And my Ping-Pong offer still stands-) :wink:
EDM5970

Previous

Return to Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines