PRR Scheduled Freights In/Out of Erie, PA

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.

PRR Scheduled Freights In/Out of Erie, PA

Postby XC Tower » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:42 am

Hello,

As a young boy in grade school (McKinley School), from the play ground while waiting to go inside when classes started, there would always be a Pennsylvania mixed freight parked to the east in the distance, viewed through the trees of McKinley Park. With a cascading metallic clanking and booming sound, the train would start moving west (north) farther into the yard facilities at OD (Outer Depot) with a PRR N-5 caboose on the rear. This was the early 1960's, so sources to ask here are getting rarer by the passing day.
Years ago, a former PRR employee told me that the train was parked on the "Passenger Main", making for even more curiosity in me.
Can anyone direct me to where I can find train information and schedules from the PRR at this time period? If I am correct, the PRR coal & ore docks at the harbor were both closed by 1960 from the effects of the St. Lawrence Seaway's opening, so any originating traffic in Erie would have been light. The PRR's Erie & Pittsburg line southwest out of the harbor would have still been going as was the Philadelphia & Erie to the southeast. Along with that, the branch from Brocton, NY, still went through Corry, PA, crossing the "P&E" there with its Buffalo, NY and Pittsburgh, PA connections. (I asked about the PRR's "BeeZ'er freights (do pardon the spelling) between Buffalo, NY, thru Erie to points southwest earlier, which may have still been running then). The Pennsy's railroad line network was still operational, but in its last days before the Penn Central disaster hit.
Thank you for any help in putting more understanding to my PRR memories from early boyhood.

XC
XC Tower

Re: PRR Scheduled Freights In/Out of Erie, PA

Postby ExCon90 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:28 pm

I don't think there ever was an official spelling of "beezers," since the term was only used in spoken conversation; in writing they were always BEZ-1 (Buffalo-Erie-Canton) and BEZ-2 (reverse). Those trains came off with the completion of the expanded Conway Yard in 1958, or perhaps a few years earlier, since the project spanned 1956-58. After that, traffic between Buffalo and the west moved over trains symboled (I think) CBF 1-/2, 3/4 to and from Conway via the Salamanca Branch and Oil City. I believe Erie traffic moved over the E&P to and from Conway.

As to information sources, the PRR Technical & Historical Society has a lot of material, but I don't know if anyone is in a position to look things up in response to inquiries. The PRRT&HS website has a chronology, compiled by Chris Baer of the Hagley Museum, of minute details of events involving the PRR and other railroads. I don't know whether there is a search function, but you can call it up by year and scroll down to see what turns up. (Be prepared to be distracted by a lot of other interesting stuff, and try not to forget what you were looking for originally.)
ExCon90

Re: PRR Scheduled Freights In/Out of Erie, PA

Postby XC Tower » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:14 pm

My thanks again, ExCon90, for your help and tip to check out the information from the PRR Technical & Historical Society, which I will certainly do to turn back the hands of time.

XC

I
XC Tower

Return to Pennsylvania Railroad