PRR bridge over Muskingum River, Marietta, Oh

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.

PRR bridge over Muskingum River, Marietta, Oh

Postby terry03 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:49 pm

Does anyone have a picture of the old Pennsylvania Railroad Bridge that crossed the Muskingum River at Marietta, Ohio? The bridge was built in 1915 and does not show up on Google Earth.
terry03

Re: PRR bridge over Muskingum River, Marietta, Oh

Postby shlustig » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:16 am

Have you tried the Washington County Historical Society which is located in Marietta?
shlustig

Postby terry03 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:42 pm

I've sent them an email, but, I haven't heard back. Thanks
terry03

Postby mowingman » Wed May 21, 2014 7:05 pm

Well, there never was a PRR bridge over the Muskingum river in Marietta. The only railroad bridge over the river is one that was always owned by the B&O. The PRR track always ended on the east side of the river.
I was born and raised in Marietta, so I am quite familiar with the railroads that were/are there. You should be able to easily find some photos of the B&O bridge. It has been converted to a walking trail. Now and then, they still open the bridge to move the W.P. Snyder steamboat in and out of it's docking site for repairs. In fact, the boat is due to return to Marietta any day now, so the bridge will have to be turned. I bet you can find video of the bridge on youtube.
Jeff
mowingman

Return to Pennsylvania Railroad