Need help finding out about Michigan Central Roundhouse

Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Need help finding out about Michigan Central Roundhouse

Postby Arma » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:28 pm

Hey guys. I'm here on this forum on the hopes of finding out about a certain roundhouse for my father. My father had worked for the railroad for 50 years and has always been an avid fan of trains and their history. The roundhouse in question is the Michigan Central Roundhouse that existed on Vernor and Livernois in Detroit. I've searched all over Google in the hopes of finding it, but to my great disappointment found nothing. So I turn to you guys, fellow railroaders/fans, in the hopes that maybe some of you have some old pictures of the roundhouse that you could scan or something, or know of a link to it on the Internet. I'd be very appreciated for anyones' help on this matter!

Thanks,

Porthana
Arma

Re: Need help finding out about Michigan Central Roundhouse

Postby shlustig » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:55 pm

Better chance of answers if this goes to the NYC forum.
shlustig

Postby 3rd out nuthin comin » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:43 pm

Are you trying to find the location of the West Detroit roundhouse on Google, or links to sites with information?

If you're trying to find the location, it was at 42°19'17.59N by 83°07'06.08W. If you're looking at a map, and you're looking near Vernor and Livernois, go north a little bit; the roundhouse was closer to John Kronk than to Vernor.

I'm afraid I'm of no help on links.

Todd Roberts
3rd out nuthin comin

Postby shlustig » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:38 pm

IIRC, the Tour Guide for the 2010 NYCSHS Annual Meeting included an aerial photograph which clearly showed the MC roundhouses.
shlustig

Return to New York Central