New York City station during Civil War

Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

New York City station during Civil War

Postby Paul1705 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:57 pm

In William Heffernan's novel When Johnny Came Marching Home, a character takes a passenger train in 1865 from New York to Albany, and then to Vermont. As far as I know, the line along the Harlem River wasn't built until 1871, so he couldn't have used the New York and Harlem station. Did the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad have a passenger station somewhere on the West Side of the city?
Paul1705

Re: New York City station during Civil War

Postby ExCon90 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:47 pm

Yes, the NYC&HR station was at 30th St. at approximately 11th Ave. The route ran along the Hudson to Spuyten Duyvil, the line now used by Amtrak's Empire Service. The station at 30th St. continued to see service for some years even after the connection from Mott Haven to Spuyten Duyvil was built and most trains were routed to the Grand Central Depot.
ExCon90

Postby Paul1705 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:19 pm

Thanks for the information. I had heard there was station on the West Side by I never knew where it was. I've never seen a drawing or photograph of it either.
Paul1705

Postby Otto Vondrak » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:04 pm

Paul1705 wrote:In William Heffernan's novel When Johnny Came Marching Home, a character takes a passenger train in 1865 from New York to Albany, and then to Vermont. As far as I know, the line along the Harlem River wasn't built until 1871, so he couldn't have used the New York and Harlem station.

The New York & Harlem had completed its New York to Chatham main line by 1852, and there were stations in New York City as early as 1831. It was the Hudson River Railroad that was the latecomer to the scene, building south from Albany to New York City along the Hudson River.

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby R Paul Carey » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:51 am

According to a LLoyd's topographical chart of the Hudson River valley dated 1864, the HRRR followed Eleventh Avenue south to 32nd Street, then crossed to Tenth Avenue at 31st Street. The chart identifies "HRRR Station" between Eleventh and Tenth Avenues.
R Paul Carey

Postby chnhrr » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:46 am

Here’s a picture of the depot of the York and Harlem Railroad around Civil War. The depot was located on 26h Street between Park (Fourth Avenue) and Madison. It was a far cry from what was going to be constructed fifteen blocks north. It looked like an old hotel. The site would be the location for first Madison Square Garden. The New York and New Haven Railroad's depot is partially shown in the distance to the right.
Attachments
New York and Harlem Depot 1860.jpg
New York and Harlem Depot 1860.jpg (93.23 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
chnhrr

Return to New York Central