Length in time of trip from Albany to Thendara - 1890's

Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

Length in time of trip from Albany to Thendara - 1890's

Postby thachertom » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi,

I am researching Raquette Lake and have found that after 1893, rather than take the Delaware & Hudson to North Creek and then stage coach to Blue and steamboat to Raquette, some chose to take the New York Central Railroad Adirondack Division train to Thendara/Old Forge and take steamboats, carries and stage coach to Raquette from Fourth Lake in Old Forge. Does anyone have a timetable and can calculate (or estimate) how long the trip would have been from Albany to Thendara/Old Forge? Was it even possible to go from Albany to Old Forge on the New York Central Railroad? Would one have to take a different railroad west from Albany and connect with the New York Central Railroad train in Utica in order to travel to Thendara/Old Forge?

I would greatly appreciate any help you might be able to offer.

Thank you,

Tom Thacher
thachertom

Re: Length in time of trip from Albany to Thendara/Old Forge

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:11 pm

Advertising from 1892 when the line opened shows a train leaving NYC 7:30am arr Albany 1:35pm and leave Herkimer at 5:30pm on Adirondack & St. Lawrence Rwy - arrive in Fulton Chain (Thendara) at 8:45pm daily ex. Sunday.

Also a daily train leaving NY City at 8pm, Albany 11:55pm, Herkimer 5:30am (obviously not a direct connection) and arrive Fulton Chain at 8am

In 1893 when the A&St.L was turned over to the NYC RR Train 47 departed NY City at 7pm, Albany 11:15pm, Herkimer at 1:30am, Remsen 2:22am and arrive at Fulton Chain at 3:20am. These trains operated via Herkimer up the rebuilt HN&P narrow gage which was standard gaged and not via Utica.

Hope this gives you some idea. I don't have handy a boat schedule for travel up the Chain of Lakes for that early period.
Cactus Jack

Re: Length in time of trip from Albany to Thendara/Old Forge

Postby thachertom » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:29 pm

Thank you very much for this information. It is just what I was looking for.
thachertom

Return to New York Central