Canaan, Conn.-- Track Question

Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.

Canaan, Conn.-- Track Question

Postby H.F.Malone » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:37 pm

Perhaps someone has access to NYNH&H track charts or valuation maps; I'm looking for the degree of curvature for the NW leg of the Canaan wye (behind the station, next to Collin's Diner parking lot), and the turnout number for the turnout connecting that track with the north-south main track. That's the turnout with the switch stand right at the sidewalk, south side of Route 7.

Thanks in advance!
"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find you get what you need."
H.F.Malone

Re: Canaan, Conn.-- Track Question

Postby Pat Fahey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:07 pm

Hi Mr.Malone
Here is the web site for the NY NH & H track charts http://magic.lib.uconn.edu/mash_up/nynhhrr_index.html I tried to download the map you looking for , but it is too big . You should find what you are looking for good luck .
Pat Fahey

Postby Backshophoss » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:24 pm

The crossing is in North Cannan ct,about the 3rd box south of the Conn/Mass state line.
Backshophoss

Postby Greg Moore » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:01 am

I think you mean NE leg BTW.

That site is great (though awkward interface)
http://collections.ctdigitalarchive.org ... :860068321 should get you to the right map.
What's interesting to see (at least to me) was I didn't realize the CNE (labelled there as H&CWRR) had any tracks east of the diamond. I vaguely recall the ones west of the diamond.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby NaugyRR » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:21 am

I believe the spur that goes up to the plant behind Stop & Shop is considered former CNE rails. How the setup looked when the diamond was still functional, I do not know. The east side of the diamond used to have some rails sunk into the ground behind the station, but I don't know if they're still there or not with the renovation work going on at the depot.
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Postby fender52 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:43 am

If I remember in my old age, there were legs on the north and south end that ran to the east to the CNE track that ran at one time to Norfolk and east. I don't remember if there was a leg that ran from the south to the west side of the CNE there to Lakeville.
fender52

Postby Ridgefielder » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:22 am

NaugyRR wrote:I believe the spur that goes up to the plant behind Stop & Shop is considered former CNE rails. How the setup looked when the diamond was still functional, I do not know. The east side of the diamond used to have some rails sunk into the ground behind the station, but I don't know if they're still there or not with the renovation work going on at the depot.

Yes the spur to the lime plant is the former CNE main to Hartford via Winsted and Simsbury. So far as I know the only other surviving CNE trackage still in use is the CNZR Griffins Line from Hartford to Bloomfield, although there may be something remaining in the Maybrook, NY area west of the Hudson.
Ridgefielder

Postby Engineer Spike » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:49 am

As far as active CNE track, whatever is left from Campbell Hall, toward the west side of the bridge is CNE. Did they abandon the Hospital Branch in Poughkeepsie?
"Welcome all ye who enter; the show that never ends. Tingfield Sperminal Railway." (Graffiti on the entry to Mohawk Yard Office)
Engineer Spike

Postby Backshophoss » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:16 pm

Not sure if CSX still works that trackage,there was 1 or 2 customers left when CR exisited.
Backshophoss

Postby mackdave » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:49 pm

NS got it after Conrail, now worked by M&NJ out of Campbell Hall

Mackdave
mackdave

Postby Backshophoss » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:31 pm

That track in Poughkeepsie was a"backdoor" interchange to the Maybrook line when the New Haven RR still exisited.
Believe CSX still runs a local out of it's yard in Poughkeepsie.
Backshophoss

Postby krispy » Sun May 07, 2017 3:00 pm

Engineer Spike wrote:As far as active CNE track, whatever is left from Campbell Hall, toward the west side of the bridge is CNE. Did they abandon the Hospital Branch in Poughkeepsie?

At one point approx. +10 years ago, one person attempted to create a shortline that would've used the Hospital branch to connect to the Smith Street industries. It didn't get off of the ground account his not working well with the City and once he gave up the City went to great lengths to make sure the trackage would never be used again, including I believe giving the ROW to Marist. The tracks were all pulled up including most of the tracks in the Smith St. cluster and it's now called the CSX Utility Corridor (track leading from the Hospital Branch (old P&E?) to the Smith St. sidings.
krispy

Return to New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad NYNH&HRR