siding for Boston State Hospital?

Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.

siding for Boston State Hospital?

Postby NRGeep » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:45 pm

Just wondering if there was a siding for the old mental hospital near the Fairmont line in Mattapan?
NRGeep
 
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:33 pm

Re: siding for Boston State Hospital?

Postby Noel Weaver » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:10 am

NRGeep wrote:Just wondering if there was a siding for the old mental hospital near the Fairmont line in Mattapan?


What time period are you wondering about? I can check employee timetables for any mention but it would be much easier if I knew the dates you are interested in.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver
 
Posts: 9380
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Pompano Beach, Florida

Re: siding for Boston State Hospital?

Postby CarterB » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:26 pm

Checked maps back to early 1900s for the area, when it was called the Lunatic Asylum. No evidence of any rail on those maps.
There was a trolley line on Blue Hill Ave but not to the hospital.
Bring back the Slumbercoaches!!
User avatar
CarterB
 
Posts: 2546
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:19 am
Location: Bergen County, New Jersey

Re: siding for Boston State Hospital?

Postby NRGeep » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:41 am

How about 1920? Though Mr CarterB's research dosn't make it seem promising that there was a siding for the now long closed asylum. That would be unusual for a large hospital built before 1932. How was the coal for their power plant delivered before heavy trucks? Perhaps power came from an off site facility.
NRGeep
 
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:33 pm

Re: siding for Boston State Hospital?

Postby Noel Weaver » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:23 pm

NRGeep wrote:How about 1920? Though Mr CarterB's research dosn't make it seem promising that there was a siding for the now long closed asylum. That would be unusual for a large hospital built before 1932. How was the coal for their power plant delivered before heavy trucks? Perhaps power came from an off site facility.


Best I could do was a 1921 employee timetable for lines east and found no reference to anything re: Boston State Hospital.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver
 
Posts: 9380
Joined: Sat May 29, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Pompano Beach, Florida

Re: siding for Boston State Hospital?

Postby NRGeep » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:00 am

Noel Weaver wrote:
NRGeep wrote:How about 1920? Though Mr CarterB's research dosn't make it seem promising that there was a siding for the now long closed asylum. That would be unusual for a large hospital built before 1932. How was the coal for their power plant delivered before heavy trucks? Perhaps power came from an off site facility.


Best I could do was a 1921 employee timetable for lines east and found no reference to anything re: Boston State Hospital.
Noel Weaver


Thank you sir. It also went by the name of Matapan State Hospital for what it's worth.
NRGeep
 
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:33 pm

Re: siding for Boston State Hospital?

Postby highwayman » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:39 am

As a life long resident of Forest Hills, I can say that Mattapan state hospital was never close enough to a railroad to be serviced by one. It was located on Walk hill street about halfway between Forest Hills and Mattapan.
highwayman
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:51 pm

Re: siding for Boston State Hospital?

Postby NRGeep » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:15 am

highwayman wrote:As a life long resident of Forest Hills, I can say that Mattapan state hospital was never close enough to a railroad to be serviced by one. It was located on Walk hill street about halfway between Forest Hills and Mattapan.


Upon further research, Mattapan State Hospital and Boston State Hospital were different hospitals. Boston State was fairly close to the Fairmount line on Morton st (rt 203). Perhaps the incoming and (rarely) outgoing patients used Morton st station. Still a mystery how coal got there in the 19th century...
NRGeep
 
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:33 pm

Re: siding for Boston State Hospital?

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:56 pm

This might be a streach; Was there freight (coal) delivered via the streetcar tracks?
Backshophoss
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: siding for Boston State Hospital?

Postby highwayman » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:22 am

Sorry, I wasn't aware of a separate mental hospital on Morton street. If that is the case, that facility could have been served by rail. In the nineteenth century, I think the Fairmont line (Midland Railroad in those days) was already built.
highwayman
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:51 pm

Re: siding for Boston State Hospital?

Postby Ridgefielder » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:53 pm

Backshophoss wrote:This might be a streach; Was there freight (coal) delivered via the streetcar tracks?

Sure could have been. I know the New Haven did that at places in Connecticut.
Ridgefielder
 
Posts: 2329
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:22 pm
Location: Harlem Division MP 15


Return to New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad NYNH&HRR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests