Small Concrete Supports Next to Old Railway

General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

Small Concrete Supports Next to Old Railway

Postby mabo2211 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:27 am

Hopefully this is the right place to post this. My 65 year old father has begun walking on the "Rail Trail" between Groton, MA and Pepperell, MA recently and noticed these concrete supports off to the side. He's been puzzling about what they were originally used for. There are 3 of them, separated by about 10 feet.

One theory is that they supported a bench, but they are located in the woods, nowhere near town, and not near anything of economic significance, so it seems unlikely people would pour concrete footings with rebar for a bench (probably) in the middle of some farmer's field.

Any ideas?

If this is not the correct place to post this question, please let me know. I am only here to try to solve this mystery for my Dad.

Thanks!
Attachments
concrete.PNG
mabo2211

Re: Small Concrete Supports Next to Old Railway

Postby John_Perkowski » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:01 am

Topic moved by an Admin.
~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Please don't feed the spammers! If you see spam, please notify a Moderator
John_Perkowski

Postby DutchRailnut » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:00 pm

most likely rail-keep, a stanchion that held spare lengths of rail for track department , they use to be located about every half mile .
and held 4 or 6 spare rails.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby edbear » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:18 pm

The B & M term was rail rest. They were usually located opposite each milepost so that if a rail broke a track crew would never be more than half a mile from an available length of replacement rail.
edbear

Postby mabo2211 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:36 pm

Wow, you guys are great. Very interesting. Thanks for that great info. Your answers seem reasonable, and indeed, it is within about 100 feet of a mile marker.

Thanks to you both. My dad no longer has to wonder what they are every time he walks by them.

Are there any pictures of what these would look like when in operation? Were they housed in a covered cabinet, or otherwise protected from the weather?

Thanks again.
mabo2211

Postby ExCon90 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:45 pm

They mostly just lay out there in the weather, as they would when placed in track; at 39 feet long and 100+ lbs. to the yard they were pretty safe from pilferage.
ExCon90

Return to General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment