Locomotive stickers

General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

Locomotive stickers

Postby trainiac » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:50 am

I've been going through a lot of photos of new locomotives from the 1970s and 80s, and I can't help but notice that they have a very "clean" appearance with almost no stickers or text anywhere on the carbody. Maybe a couple of notices about the engine start switch or water fill locations (and always the fuel and emergency cut-off locations) but that's about it.

In contrast, it seems any new locomotive since about the early 2000s is plastered with stickers all over the carbody, with "Danger - high voltage" on 2/3 of the hood doors, extensive maintenance instructions (oil drain, air filters), auto-start, "watch your step", handbrake instructions, emissions certification etc. New EMDs even have warning stickers at the top corners of the nose.

I can think of several possible reasons for these stickers - increasing complexity of the locomotives, liability concerns and ease of maintenance - but part of me also thinks that if you're reading the stickers on doors to figure out how to operate or maintain a locomotive you might not be quite qualified to do so. Is there any particular reason other than a combination of the above for all the stickers?
--Michael Eby
--http://trainiax.net
trainiac

Re: Locomotive stickers

Postby John_Perkowski » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:36 am

Three acronyms:

OSHA
FRA
NTSB

1 body per railroad corporation: Office of the General Counsel.

IMNSHO, every sticker is a reactive or proactive response to a liability suit.
~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Please don't feed the spammers! If you see spam, please notify a Moderator
John_Perkowski

Return to General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment