Helperlink

General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

Helperlink

Postby tj48 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:45 pm

I was recently browsing through the excellent NSDash9.com website. I was looking at the NS SD40e listing and I saw that certain units are equipped with a system called Helperlink. I know it is used for Helper service but I was curious as to how it works.
tj48

Re: Helperlink

Postby Engineer Spike » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:18 am

It uses the features of the two way marker telemetry. This way they don't have to connect the brake pipe to the helper, and the helper knows what is going on with the air. It might also have a valve to place the helper in emergency, if the lead engineer puts the train in emergency. I have seen pictures of a mechanical link to the coupler pin lifter. This way the helper can cut off without stopping, or having a second man pull the pin.

Just a note, but I have never used this. My answer is based on what I have read, and pictures.
"Welcome all ye who enter; the show that never ends. Tingfield Sperminal Railway." (Graffiti on the entry to Mohawk Yard Office)
Engineer Spike

Postby TB Diamond » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:54 pm

Correct. Used the apparatus with the BNSF Belle Ayr helper job on the Orin Line circa 2000.
You can't go home again- Thomas Wolfe
TB Diamond

Postby tj48 » Sun May 22, 2016 5:12 pm

Another question about Helperlink to you railroaders.
I have seen a couple of videos of NS SD40E's with the Helperlink system being used as head end helpers. In this case can the Helperlink system still be used or does the train in this case have to stop to detach the SD40E's?
tj48

Return to General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment