Locomotives and Extreme Cold

General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

Locomotives and Extreme Cold

Postby Denver Dude » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:49 pm

I am aware of switch problems, but was wondering how prime movers, fuel lines, and other parts of locomotives handle -50 temps. I have heard that idling diesels can shut themselves down if they are idling too slowly - I don't know if that's true. I am sure that the engine compartment is usually sweltering in normal weather, but this might not be true at 53 below.
I'm sure they are designed for this, but wow...
Denver Dude

Re: Locomotives and Extreme Cold

Postby DutchRailnut » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:19 am

During cold weather crews are usually asked to leave standing locomotives in notch 2 to keep things heated.
The fuel actually keeps pretty warm as it circulates over many components mounted to engine block.
The engine does not use AntiFreeze,no one wants 180 gallons of antifreeze spilled in case of leak, so just water and a pink water treatment .
If the cooling water gets to cold a valve mounted under frame opens up and dumps the cooling water.( so called Ogontz valve)
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.
DutchRailnut

Postby Denver Dude » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:52 am

Wow - notch 2. I never would have guessed that.
Denver Dude

Postby gp9rm4108 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:07 pm

For us at CN it's notch 3 for units not equipped with a self high idle feature and notch 4 for ALL locomotives when temperature is -30C or colder.
gp9rm4108

Postby D Alex » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:05 pm

Back in the early 1990's, I used to drive tractor-trailer. I can't remember which town along route 11 it was, but outside of a paper mill, there was a switcher parked by the highway that would be plugged in to an electric box by the tracks. I assume that was because NY has laws against diesels idling around residential areas.
D Alex

Return to General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment