Singer Phoebe Snow Passes Away at 58

Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

Singer Phoebe Snow Passes Away at 58

Postby Ocala Mike » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:06 pm

She died the other day after a long illness. Didn't know this about her (although I should have):

"Born Phoebe Ann Laub in New York City in 1952, the singer changed her name after seeing Phoebe Snow, a fictional advertising character for a railroad, on trains that passed through her hometown in New Jersey."

RIP.
Ocala Mike (formerly Hillside Mike and Deer Park Mike)
Ocala Mike

Re: Singer Phoebe Snow Passes Away at 58

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:23 pm

The Lackawanna, Mike. She was a fictional advertising piece of theirs, always dressed in white to symbolize the cleanliness of the Lackawanna Railroad, due I guess to the fact that it's steam engines burned "anthracite coal". The road was called "The Anthracite Route", and Phoebe, the real-life singer, apparently liked the name. I thought that she had a very unusual voice. She can be heard regularly on radio singing her popular "Poetry Man". She was a good woman. Turned away from a very lucrative career to care for a disabled child at home. RIP. Here's Phoebe, the railroad gal in the ad below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OxTVxGhHFM
Attachments
Phoebe_Snow.jpg
Phoebe_Snow.jpg (34.15 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Ocala Mike » Sun May 01, 2011 12:05 pm

Yes, I knew about the DL&W's Phoebe Snow, probably as famous as Chessie the cat for the C&O. Just didn't know the story of how the singer chose that name. Agree with you about her, 3rd rail.
Ocala Mike (formerly Hillside Mike and Deer Park Mike)
Ocala Mike

Postby edbear » Sun May 01, 2011 6:34 pm

I think Ms. Snow the singer even posed with a DL & W boxcar in the background for an album photo.
edbear

Postby JasW » Wed May 11, 2011 12:34 pm

The NY Times obit goofed a bit by writing: "Phoebe Laub took her professional name from a fictional advertising character created in the early 1900s by the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad, which named its flagship train the Phoebe Snow. She saw the name on boxcars as the train passed through town."

Unfortunately, the town referred to in the obit is Teaneck, where the singer grew up, and through which the Phoebe Snow obviously did not pass. Likely she saw the odd DL&W boxcar with the logo "The Route of Phoebe Snow" traveling on the West Shore (which did serve Teaneck).
JasW

Location: Currently SAL MP 1025.3; originally DL&W MP 21.1; formerly PRR MP 0.0

Return to DL&W, Erie and Erie Lackawanna