Original bridge by nay aug tunnels.

Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

Original bridge by nay aug tunnels.

Postby 25Hz » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:42 am

I found a hand colored post card image online depicting the original, massive concrete bridge that was washed away by Dianne.

Ever since i was up there this past summer i was curious as to what happened. The old ROW is like, still very damaged and largely no space for any more tracks. Makes me very skeptical about re-activation of passenger service over the cutoff.
Next stop the square, journal square station next!
25Hz

Re: Original bridge by nay aug tunnels.

Postby TSRTOM » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:05 pm

25Hz -

The old ROW is like, still very damaged and largely no space for any more tracks. Makes me very skeptical about re-activation of passenger service over the cutoff.

Not following you. This line is quite active via D-L heavy freights plus Steamtown trips so unclear what you mean by the ROW still being damaged. And what more tracks exactly where ? IF and WHEN regular passenger train service comes, it'll be bi-directional on a single track with 2-3 passing sidings between Scranton and Slateford Jct..

At/around Nay Aug is 1 main and 1 long passing/storage track. Been that way ( 2 tracks ) for 60+ years over the creek bridge and thru the tunnel.
TSRTOM

Postby JimBoylan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:21 pm

Before the concrete bridge in the postcard, was the line 4 tracks with 2 double track tunnels?
JimBoylan

Postby Greg » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:11 pm

JimBoylan wrote:Before the concrete bridge in the postcard, was the line 4 tracks with 2 double track tunnels?

Correct.
Greg

Return to DL&W, Erie and Erie Lackawanna