Steamtown Move?

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

Steamtown Move?

Postby Alek9997 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:33 am

Does anyone know where I can find photos of the movement(s) of the Steamtown collection over the D&H?

I seem to recall seeing some photos a long time ago of one of the "engine trains" that moved from Bellows Falls, VT to Scranton, PA. The routing the train took included the Delaware & Hudson route through the Susquehanna Valley, and I believe the train took the Penn Division to Scranton.

Can anyone be a little more helpful on this matter?

Thanks

Alek S
Alek9997

Re: Steamtown Move?

Postby JhnZ33 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:43 pm

I'm not sure, but I think the Penn Division may have been OOS at that time.
Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration
JhnZ33

Postby Cactus Jack » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:04 pm

Penn Division was still running but the moves went via Binghamton, or at least the Big Boy move I chased did. I think everything else did also, going to Binghamton and over Nicholson, but maybe not.

I bunch of us got shots at Tunnel, but D&H would not concede to a cut where we could pose the Big Boy nose out at the tunnel portal. Wise move, but hey we had to ask. Those guys back in the day were great to rail photographers. I recall chasing the Big Boy move down Route 7 through Bainbridge and Afton and thinking how graceful such a large locomotive looked on the move.

Penn Division went about early 1986 or late 1985. I recall it being winter and things had been detouring via the Penn division account of the work at Tunnel.
Cactus Jack

Postby cjvrr » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:01 am

Cactus,

I believe however the Penn Division from a mile or two south of Jeff Junction down to Carbondale was already gone by 1985 when the tunnel work occured. They only left enough track south of the connection to the Erie main to complete the run around moves.
CV the Civil E
cjvrr

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:13 am

Yeah, you are correct about the lower end of the Penn Division ... forgot that ... the bypass trains went via Jeff Junction and the Erie out of Binghamton
Cactus Jack

Postby Atomsk » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:01 pm

I've got pics of UP 4012 coming into Oneonta, on the trip south. Unfortunately they're slides, and I may not have them in digital form.

I'll see what I can come up with, in the next few days.
"This is a helluva way to run a railroad" -- L. F. Loree, after an inspection of the KCS, in 1906
Atomsk

Postby Alek9997 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:47 pm

Atomsk wrote:I've got pics of UP 4012 coming into Oneonta, on the trip south. Unfortunately they're slides, and I may not have them in digital form.

I'll see what I can come up with, in the next few days.

See if you can somehow digitize them...I'd like to see that !

Alek S
Alek9997

Return to Delaware & Hudson