W-B Connecting RR -- Question for Chief Troll

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

W-B Connecting RR -- Question for Chief Troll

Postby Andyt293 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:39 am

Some questions about the Wilkes-Barre Connecting RR bridge that spans the Susquehanna RR from Wilkes-Barre to Kingston.

In the middle of the river under the bridge there is a large "rock" , I recently found out that this "rock" is actually the remains of a pier from an earlier bridge. Was this the Wilkes-Barre and Eastern bridge? or is the bridge that stands today the original WB&E bridge?

On the Kingston side of the bridge near where present day third avenue / church street passes under the bridge is a LARGE concrete pier that is almost shaped like a lower case h that is under the bridge and comes up alongside the trestle. The top is shaped in such a way that it could support a trestle but if it did this trestle would rest about 10 feet higher than the actual trestles of the bridge. There is only one such pier like this.

Chief Troll any ideas?
Andyt293

WBC Bridges over the Susquehanna

Postby ChiefTroll » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:48 pm

Andy, I'm afraid you got me on those. I don't have the recollection or references to give a good answer. I don't recall seeing that the D&H or WBC took over any WB&E bridges. I think they were built strictly by the D&H for the WBC, but I don't want to say, "Never." I would also appreciate any information someone could offer.
ChiefTroll

Postby Andyt293 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:08 pm

Chief, thanks anyway for the reply. I bought my fiancee a digital camera for Christmas so once I figure out how to use it and post pictures here I will take some shots of what I'm talking about.
Andyt293

Return to Delaware & Hudson