CRIP 630 & 652

Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

CRIP 630 & 652

Postby uhaul » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:43 am

Why have these two units been sitting there for almost two years? Are they on an endangered locomotive list.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=745430
uhaul

Postby uhaul » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:09 pm

I just answered my own question. http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/pas ... otives.htm
I guess they are being sold.
uhaul

Postby route_rock » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:12 pm

They were supposed to be sold a long time ago. IIRC Mr Sabine of Iowa Northern fame even suggested buying one of them.
If I had a spot to store one I would take it. But as with everything in life no space and not enough money.
route_rock

Postby DufordModelWorks » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:24 pm

It is my understanding that both of these units are in extremely poor mechanical condition and would require alot of prep work just to get them moved.

Hopefully someone with a good shop force, ambition and deep pockets picks them up...they deserve a better fate then just rusting away.
DufordModelWorks

Postby Tadman » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:21 am

I'm about twenty minutes away from them, I'll try to run down this weekend or a free afternoon. I understand there's an RS3 on the property as well.
Tadman

Postby PRRGuy » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:25 am

I'm pretty sure that's the MKT RS-3M but don't they have a ex NYC RS-3 also?
PRRGuy

Postby Tadman » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:27 pm

Yeah, there is two RS3's - the MKT RS3 (EMD bastardized) and one painted for NYC. I think it's also a genuine NYC unit as well. I had really hoped to ride behind one of the E's this summer - looks like it won't happen.
Tadman

630 and 652

Postby RockGp40 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:43 pm

Mr. Sabin has indeed rescued these two beauties. If all goes right, they will ride the rails under their own power in the future.
RockGp40

Postby route_rock » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:14 am

GREAT NEWS!!!!!! I think all of us Rock fans should send him a nice letter saying thanks!

The best part is I only live a few hours away! I keep telling the wife someday I want to work for him. but I cant get her to want to move closer to Northern Iowa.At least they will be on "home rails" and it will be easier for me to visit them.
route_rock

Postby uhaul » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:06 pm

So route_rock is going to these units and so is Tadman. There should be plenty of sound judgment on the condition of these diesels.
uhaul

Postby route_rock » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:54 pm

When I was a memeber of RITS back in the day, I tried to get it lined up for the 652 to come to the Quad Cities. Albeit to say it feel through, however I had it on good authority that that unit was mechanically sound enough to travel the BNSF. But that was a while ago.
If I get some time off ( I know I am off for a week in September) I will contact Mr Sabin and see if I can go take a peek.I might gush like a school girl who just got asked to prom but hey Ill bring tissues.
Last time I saw 652 she was Red White and Blue! Pulling the Rocket even.So this will be great if i can pull it off.
BTW Wheels of Time in Peoria has a RI steam loco. Go check it out.
route_rock

Postby Tadman » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:50 pm

Have these units been delivered to IANR yet?
Tadman

Postby route_rock » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:27 pm

Havent heard yet anything on the INRR yahoo group. Or seen anything to say they have been moved.
route_rock

Re: CRIP 630 & 652

Postby John_Perkowski » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:52 pm

Intersting. According to the Midland Railway website (updated Mar 15 2010) both units are still on the line. Looking at google traffic view, both units have been photographed in Baldwin City by a Googlemobile.
~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Please don't feed the spammers! If you see spam, please notify a Moderator
John_Perkowski

Return to Granger Railroads - C&NW, Rock Island, and MILW