Hallam, Nebraska

Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

Hallam, Nebraska

Postby Hoosierailnut » Tue May 25, 2004 2:03 pm

This weekend Hallam was pretty much wiped out by an F-5 tornado.. There was an aerial view that showed an entire hopper train derailed south of the silos that were destroyed.
I know its on the old RI line to Lincoln, Ne. but what is at the end of the line north of Hallam that uses rail service and who operates the line now?
Hoosierailnut

Postby zwsplac » Wed May 26, 2004 12:17 am

I'm pretty sure that there is a powerplant along that line. Not 100 percent, but on Train Dispatcher's Marysville sib terrrrritory, coal trains would go up that line.
zwsplac

Postby wess » Sat May 29, 2004 1:51 am

There was a coal fired power plant there and that was pretty much why that section of line was retained. That over head shot of the town site with the wrecked elevator does show something interesting though. Those cars appear to be stored passenger cars and not hoppers. So I,m curious to know if there was a dinner train being run there or not
joe
wess

Postby dhaugh » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:26 pm

My 2001-2002 map labels the line as MSPA, but my list of reporting marks doesn't have it in there, so I don't know what that stands for, or if they still operate the line.
dhaugh

Postby 56-57 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:27 am

MSPA is either Midwest States Port Authority, or Midwest Shippers Port Authority. It's a track co-op, I believe, that had bought the track from the Rock estate around 1980. It could be state owned, or like I said, a co-op among shippers, I really not sure.

Mike
telephone, telegraph, and tell a railroader

-S.E. Miller
56-57

Postby wess » Fri May 13, 2005 2:17 pm

Are they still based out of Phillipsburg? I have a question to present them directly but have no way of connecting with them. Any ideas?
wess
wess

Re: Hallam, Nebraska

Postby longtimeonUP » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:43 am

Guys,

The proper name is Mid States Port Authority. They own what is today operated as the Kyle Railway through Kansas.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't the line to Hallam operated by the UP via Fairbury? I don't have my CRI&P map with me and am going strictly from memory so I am probably wrong.
longtimeonUP

Postby wess » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:24 pm

the line from Belleville to the KS/NB border is still in place but not used to my knowledge. From there to Fairbury it has been pulled up. Fairbury on to Hallam it is operated by Union Pacific. From Hallam on it is likewise gone
wess

Postby trainmaniac07 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:57 pm

The line does run from Fairbury and ends about a mile north of Hallam.
As stated above Union Pacific does operate the line now hauling coal
to Sheldon Station (Nebraska Public Power District power plant in Hallam)
about 2-3 times a month. When the tornado went through there was a mostly
empty coal train setting in town, maybe a few grain hoppers, and no passenger cars.

The old Rock Island yard in Fairbury is now used on a day to day by the old Marysville
local. When they started the relocation project in Marysville they moved the local to
Fairbury and it worked out a lot better for them so its now their permeant home.
trainmaniac07

Postby Arbitr8 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:08 pm

Hopefully by now much of Hallam is rebuilt, I worked at the Rock Island Depot in Hallam during the summer of 77 as the 2nd trick operator/depot agent.
Arbitr8

Return to Granger Railroads - C&NW, Rock Island, and MILW