Were GE's Throw Away's ?

Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: AMTK84, MEC407

Re: Were GE's Throw Away's ?

Postby MEC407 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:25 pm

And speaking of Dash 8 rebuilds, it appears BNSF is getting in on the action:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/632542/
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
MEC407

Postby obsessed railfan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:06 pm

Earlier in this thread I speculated that a major contributor for the premature demise of the early domestic Universals was lack of proper maintenance, and I also mentioned a positive comment from a former railroader who had good things to say about his railroad's early GE's. I'd like to briefly quote another positive comment from a former New Haven railroader, which was originally posted elsewhere.
As a former employee of the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad and a crew member of a 3 tripper from Boston to Cedar Hill, New Haven on U25B we had excellent luck with them ... The U25B was the work horse of the Shoreline Freight Division

He also goes on to mention lack of maintenance:
...the main problem I saw was the lack of preventive maintainence.[sic] When the unit was not maintained properly and the engine filters (oil - air - breather) were not replaced or cleaned and serviced as per the mfg. the engine would blow engine oil out of the breathers due to possible back pressure in the crankcase. I never was on one that broke down on a run.
As far as I am concerned "THEY TOOK A LICKING AND KEPT ON TICKING"

More proof that there are good things to say about early GE's, from actual crew members.
obsessed railfan

Postby Allen Hazen » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:51 pm

Obsessed railfan--
Thank you for posting that! I remember one conversation from the 1970s about motive power in the ex-New Haven part of Penn Central: someone saying that the U25B were very smooth-riding compared to the other types in use in that region.

As for the problem… The first time I ever heard the expression "deferred maintenance," it was in reference to the New Haven.
Allen Hazen

Previous

Return to General Electric