GE to sell GETS?

Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: AMTK84, MEC407

GE to sell GETS?

Postby Allen Hazen » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:49 pm

An informed source has revealed that -- given the collapse of the coal industry, and the fact that driverless robot-trucks will give the trucking industry a huge cost advantage -- General Electric top management has begun to think that the railroad supply industry is not one it wants to devote capital and management talent to, and is initiating talks to sell its locomotive-building division to Caterpillar. It is thought that the Trump administration's business-friendly approach to reducing regulation means that no anti-trust issues stand in the way of the sale.
(I thought, given today's date, it would be a good idea to pass this rumour along!)
Allen Hazen

Re: GE to sell GETS?

Postby MEC407 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:11 am

Damn, you actually had me panicking for a few seconds!
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
MEC407

Postby Allen Hazen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:21 am

I hope nobody was offended by my putting up an April Fool's post. There's quite a tradition of them in some communities, including scientific ones. Darren Naish, whose "Tetrapodzoology" is one of the best zoology/paleontology blogs going, has annually, for something like ten years, announced a remarkable discovery or an unorthodox evolutionary hypothesis each April...
Allen Hazen

Postby MEC407 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:35 am

I certainly took no offense. I think they're fun. :-D
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
MEC407

Postby Allen Hazen » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:26 pm

Some things shouldn't even be joked about.
When I started this string back on April 1st, it was an April Fool's joke. But an item in today's paper…

From the "Globe and Mail" (Toronto) for Saturday 21.x.2017, page B5. (B is the business section of the paper.) Article by-lined Alwyn Scott, apparently syndicated by Reuters. GE has been seen as under performing for some years. In response…
First paragraph: "General Electric Co,'s new chief executive" [John Flannery] "vowed on Friday to shed more than $20-billion (U.S.) worth of assets…"
And final paragraph: "Analysts had clear ideas about what pieces GE could do without" "GE will likely sell transportation…"" [along with lighting and "anything else that isn't nailed down and very core," according to one quoted analyst].

(That's on an inside page of the business section. Story on front page about a former locomotive builder, Bombardier, selling much of its airplane business to Skybus.)
Allen Hazen

Return to General Electric