Portland - Seattle Line

Discussion relating to the BN, and its predecessors GN, NP, CB&Q, SP&S, SL-SF, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.

Portland - Seattle Line

Postby bdawe » Tue May 26, 2015 1:33 pm

I've been wondering,

Why is there only one line between Portland and Seattle? Near as I can tell, this has always been the case. It seems odd to me that two cities of such age, size, and proximity have only ever been connected directly by the one line, especially given the shear number of railroads operating in either or both cities (NP, GN, UP, MILW, SP, SPS).
B. Dawe's map of routes and urban populations https://brendandawe.carto.com/viz/80b9d ... /embed_map NOW updated with 2016 Canadian Populations
bdawe

Re: Portland - Seattle Line

Postby mtuandrew » Thu May 28, 2015 5:25 pm

bdawe wrote:I've been wondering,

Why is there only one line between Portland and Seattle? Near as I can tell, this has always been the case. It seems odd to me that two cities of such age, size, and proximity have only ever been connected directly by the one line, especially given the shear number of railroads operating in either or both cities (NP, GN, UP, MILW, SP, SPS).

A few reasons:
-Only one really suitable route exists, through the Cowlitz River valley.
-NP was the original builder, but it was entangled with the UP through the OR&N company.
-UP's entanglement meant that they were able to keep a trackage rights foothold over the Seattle-Portland line. Also, their main interchange with the Canadian lines was through Spokane, so Seattle was always their terminus.
-When GN gained control over the NP, they got themselves trackage rights over the existing line. I think their rights had something to do with building the bridge between Portland and Vancouver, WA, completing a connection between Vancouver and Longview, and eliminating the Longview ferry.
-The MILW did build south to Chehalis, WA, but the Cowlitz Valley was pretty well blocked by the UP and GN/NP. Besides, the Milwaukee was bankrupted by the Pacific Coast Extension, so they had to settle for trackage rights to the Port of Longview, WA. It took until the BN merger for them to get rights to either Portland or Canada.
-SP&S was always a wholly-owned subsidiary of GN and NP, and couldn't/wouldn't compete with them.
-SP was controlled through the early 1900s by the same group that led the UP. When the Federal government finally broke that trust, there really weren't any good routes left north of Portland. Rather than fight through UP and GN/NP-controlled territory to Seattle for a somewhat minimal interchange with the MILW and undercut its own business at the Portland ports, I guess that SP decided to leave it alone.
mtuandrew

Postby bdawe » Sat May 30, 2015 9:53 am

Thanks, that does make a lot of sense, I suppose a lot of the development of the area happened after the cut-throat era of running parallel lines everywhere as well.
B. Dawe's map of routes and urban populations https://brendandawe.carto.com/viz/80b9d ... /embed_map NOW updated with 2016 Canadian Populations
bdawe

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:19 am

Isn't there currently two different lines for the UP and BNSF from Seattle to Portland?
theseaandalifesaver

Postby bdawe » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:32 am

Nope. UP and BNSF have separate lines in Seattle and Portland, but betwixt them there only runs a single line
bdawe

Postby NorthWest » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:31 am

UP has a separate line from north Tacoma to south Seattle which was originally built by the Milwaukee Road. It was purchased when the PCE was abandoned to better anchor UP in the Seattle metropolitan area. UP still relies on trackage rights between north Tacoma and west Portland.
NorthWest

Postby AgentSkelly » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:03 am

I seem to remember that there was one RR that was going to build another line Portland-Seattle, but I can't remember the name of whoever was going to do it. I know there was some nutty investor that wanted to build a line from the Oregon Trunk to Yakima....
New Westminster to Amtrak 516, whats up with the extra 4 axles, over?
AgentSkelly

Postby bdawe » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:27 am

Isn't there a nutty investor planning a railroad between any two noticeable city pairs? Opening up a map of Seattle from the David Rumsey Collection on Google Earth i notice a few lines, some of which were marked as if they exist: http://rumsey.geogarage.com/maps/g4653000.html

notably, running along the shoreline south from West Seattle a "Portland & Puget Sound or Union Pacific", and a "Seattle & Southern (Proposed)" running south of West Seattle on the west side of the Duwamish River
bdawe

Return to Burlington Northern, GN, NP, CB&Q, SP&S, SL-SF