B&M Conway branch

Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

Re: B&M Conway branch

Postby jbvb » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:42 am

The B&M went bankrupt in 1970, after years of deferred maintenance. After McGinnis bought the GP-9s and more than enough RDCs for post-1960 passenger service, diesels that were older or out-of-favor like the Alco road switchers were patched till the equipment trusts expired, then junked. The GP-7s were treated a little better because they had a lot of parts in common with the GP-9s.
jbvb

Postby greenwichlirr » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:52 am

Bringing an old thread back to life as this past weekend I finally got a look at the entire Conway Branch from the CSR line to Ossipee and beyond.

I've read the restoration feasibility study from 10+ years ago....so where, if anywhere, do things stand now? As far as 40+ year abandoned lines, I've def. seen much worse.
greenwichlirr

Postby arthur d. » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:15 pm

ihdavis1 wrote: I noticed that there was also a South Milton station located 1 mile north of where Hayes Station and its surving siding are. Besides being one mile past Hayes, any idea of where this station was located?

Whatever it was, it had disappeared from the ETT's before 1922. Could have been a flag stop, I've noticed that in some cases, the railroad doesn't list them, while Lindsell does.
arthur d.

Postby b&m 1566 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:35 pm

greenwichlirr wrote:Bringing an old thread back to life as this past weekend I finally got a look at the entire Conway Branch from the CSR line to Ossipee and beyond.

I've read the restoration feasibility study from 10+ years ago....so where, if anywhere, do things stand now? As far as 40+ year abandoned lines, I've def. seen much worse.

Nothing is happening for the foreseeable future. A lot of chatter was silenced last year when (based off of the chatter) the state sent out a Request for Expression of Interest for shippers and operators and got nothing at the deadline. So, for now the line with sit quietly.
b&m 1566

Previous

Return to Boston & Maine/Maine Central