Arlington Heights station

Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

Arlington Heights station

Postby CAMB.MASON » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:07 am

Just a question on the Arlington Heights Bus station. I was driving by the other day and noticed the roof line of the bus station at the Arlington Heights bus station/parking lot. It is close to Massachusetts Ave, but could this have been at one time the Lexington branch, Arlington Heights Train Station? I see that it has block concrete outer walls now, but the roof line looks older to me. Also was there a small yard at Lexington, walked the line the other day and noticed just b4 the overpass b4 the station in Lexington, a switch widing and double overpass, or was this for the freight terminal and old engine house. Sorry do not remember the street that the overpass crossed, but it leads now into the parking lot at lexington center.
CAMB.MASON

Re: Arlington Heights station

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:30 pm

CAMB.MASON wrote:Just a question on the Arlington Heights Bus station. I was driving by the other day and noticed the roof line of the bus station at the Arlington Heights bus station/parking lot. It is close to Massachusetts Ave, but could this have been at one time the Lexington branch, Arlington Heights Train Station? I see that it has block concrete outer walls now, but the roof line looks older to me. Also was there a small yard at Lexington, walked the line the other day and noticed just b4 the overpass b4 the station in Lexington, a switch widing and double overpass, or was this for the freight terminal and old engine house. Sorry do not remember the street that the overpass crossed, but it leads now into the parking lot at lexington center.

The bus terminal used to serve the 79 trolley route from Harvard until 1955 when it was truncated to North Cambridge (and then converted to trackless in '58, which it remains to this day). Parking lot used to be a small layover yard for the return trip into Cambridge. The Lexington Branch/Minuteman is a bit behind the station, and Arlington Coal and Lumber sits between it and the ROW except along some of its property lines where paths between stations could've existed. It definitely was not a contiguous facility, though; it's about 200 feet from the trolley station to the ROW at straightest shot, and from the aerials it looks like there may have been a freight siding separating the trolley yard from the AC&L property and whatever occupied that back then.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Return to Boston & Maine/Maine Central