Need Info on Maine B&M Wreck 1930s

Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

Need Info on Maine B&M Wreck 1930s

Postby NellsChoo » Tue May 18, 2010 4:25 pm

Hi all

I am trying to find info on any wreck that happened between Dover NH and Portland ME from about 1930-1936. It would have involved an actual wreck train. A relative of mine was injured as he worked the wreck. Any info would be great, as hours online have turned up nothing.

Jonelle
It is still GUILFORD to me... http://www.newenglanddepot.net
NellsChoo

Re: Need Info on Maine B&M Wreck 1930s

Postby jaymac » Wed May 19, 2010 5:19 am

Jonelle-
Have you checked the DOT Special Collections archived ICC railroad accident reports yet? I'd have linked it, but linking isn't working for me today.
If the accident isn't mentioned there, it either didn't get archived or didn't meet ICC reporting threshholds, however much damage and pain happened to you relative. Foster's Daily Democrat out of Dover or The Portland Press-Herald could have some mention, but that would probably be in either the Dover or Portland public libraries on microfilm and not online.
"Watching trains is better than smoking meth."
--Source, location, and time undisclosed.
jaymac

Postby NellsChoo » Wed May 19, 2010 8:10 am

Hey, THAT is a nifty source!! But so far, I have not found an accident in the right location-area. I will try looking deeper.

Now, I was ondering... if this relative worked the wreck train out of Dover NH, would he then have worked any Maine Central wreck also? Wasn't there a time of shared managment between the two roads? How about Portland Terminal, could they have used the equipment?

JD
NellsChoo

Postby jbvb » Thu May 27, 2010 9:36 am

Regardless of the B&M/MEC joint management, working on another RR would have required bookkeeping, dealing with union rules and certification of personnel on the other RR's rulebook (this is why, while engines ran through Portland, crews AFAIK didn't). It could have happened in a major emergency like the 1936 or 1938 floods, but it wasn't routine.
jbvb

Postby NellsChoo » Thu May 27, 2010 3:51 pm

Hmmm... so if a Maine Central accident was bad enough, a B&M wreck train MIGHT have responded. What makes this harder is the fact that this relative was injured WHILE WORKING ON THE CLEAN-UP, not in the accident itself.
NellsChoo

Return to Boston & Maine/Maine Central