Fred Frailey (Trains Mag): Dave Fink the elder anecdotes

Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

Fred Frailey (Trains Mag): Dave Fink the elder anecdotes

Postby johnpbarlow » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:14 am

From Fred's blog on the Trains Magazine website: "A Busy Day at Rigby Yard, 1981"

http://cs.trains.com/trn/b/fred-frailey/archive/2016/10/29/a-busy-day-at-rigby-yard-1981.aspx
johnpbarlow

Re: Fred Frailey (Trains Mag): Dave Fink the elder anecdotes

Postby NRGeep » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:29 am

"Staying power alone does not prove much." Old Head stated in comments section after Frailey piece. I think he is also on to something with Fink Sr being a product of the Peter Principle in securing the GTI position.

Defered maintenance of ROW's and equipment, losing customers like Erving Paper etc, does not seem a model of efficiently running a railroad.
NRGeep

Postby jaymac » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:46 am

Almost nostalgic!
No reckoning of the upended lives, curtailed careers, lost customers, or other impacts of essentially a vanity operation. I hope the Fink 1.0 era is taught as a what-not-to-do in B-schools throughout the land.
"A white SUV with a roof antenna just might not be a company van."
jaymac

Postby Mikejf » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:37 am

Can you imagine pulling the fire alarm stunt now? What a great way to do accountability, just as long as it wasn't January.
Mikejf

Postby NRGeep » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:22 am

Mikejf wrote:Can you imagine pulling the fire alarm stunt now? What a great way to do accountability, just as long as it wasn't January.

Certainly a unique approach to eliminate dead wood.
Showboating not withstanding, mostly downhill from there.
NRGeep

Postby Engineer Spike » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:16 pm

I really think that Freddy F did some real hard posterior kissing to get the Fink interview for Trains. Some of the things Fink was quoted on seem strange. Fink was quoted as saying that he got the unions flat footed with the leases to ST. Didn’t the arbitrator rule that it was invalid, and a return to old contracts was required?

One other point was saying that 10-25 mph was good enough. I know that track maintenance is expensive, but how expensive is it when crew costs, car hire, and locomotive utilization far exceed what they should?
da<Na<nAH Prochain arrêt Namur
Engineer Spike

Return to Boston & Maine/Maine Central