Time capsule - 1974

Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

Time capsule - 1974

Postby woodeen » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:37 pm

I have been slowly working through the artifacts from my youth that I recently cleaned out of my parents home before we sold it. Yesterday I came across this time capsule that my 14 year old self squirreled away back in 1974. I vaguely remember walking along the tracks somewhere, probably Gardner MA, and finding this rolled up envelope. Kind of cool. There was a fusee and a waybill for a shipment that originated on the Milwaukee Road. The consignee was Dawley and Shepard in Westminster, which Wikipedia tells me was the old Westminster Cracker Company. I like the old computer punch card too!

http://eddiesalminen.com/1974timecapsule/index.html
woodeen

Re: Time capsule - 1974

Postby ExCon90 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:38 pm

That waybill is a find. Wonder how many of those freight-agency mechanical typewriters (with all-caps) are still around? And the railroad couldn't run without those round Received stamps.
ExCon90

Re: Time capsule - 1974

Postby jwhite07 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:38 am

Did you find it in the vicinity of an active tower or freight agency? Probably was intended to be tossed from a passing train to a local operator or agent but somehow got lost (or you found it before the intended recipient did!). The fusee included in the envelope served as a weight. I used to occasionally see commuter crews tossing company mail rubber-banded around a fusee to the block operator at Waltham Tower before it closed.
jwhite07

Return to Boston & Maine/Maine Central