State of Maine - The Gull (B&M/MEC LD Passenger Service)

Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

Re: State of Maine - The Gull (B&M/MEC LD Passenger Service)

Postby eastwind » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:55 pm

Further information on the New Haven 6DB-buffet-lounge PINE TREE STATE, including some nice interior shots, can be found here.

What I found personally interesting is that, of the four-car order, two were assigned to the State of Maine and two to the Federal. My memory was correct; it was indeed in one of these cars that I had such a good breakfast on the Federal (see above).
Formerly of Pittsfield and Waterville (Maine), New York City, Montréal, and San Francisco.
eastwind

Postby Cannonball » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:45 pm

From A Brief History Lines West Of The New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad Co. By Philip C. Blakeslee http://catskillarchive.com/rrextra/abnere2.Html
During World War I, the State of Maine Express was routed over the Air Line to relieve the congestion on the Shore Line. Many trains were routed over the Air Line when the Little River bridge burned and also during the flood in 1938 and other occasions.
Cannonball

Postby gokeefe » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:08 pm

I happened across this photo today.

First indication I've ever seen that Maine Central power ran through all the way to Saint John on the Gull (or so I assume). I had always understood that there was a power change in Vanceboro or Moncton.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Cowford » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:31 pm

Moncton? CN handled the Gull east of Saint John to Moncton, no?
Cowford

Postby gokeefe » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:20 pm

My error on the geography. For some reason I thought Moncton was west of Saint John (that's Fredericton). Still surprised that Maine Central power went as far as it did. Perhaps even more so now considering how far into New Brunswick Moncton actually is!
gokeefe
gokeefe

Previous

Return to Boston & Maine/Maine Central