The Eastern Railroad - South Berwick to Wells

Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

Re: The Eastern Railroad - South Berwick to Wells

Postby arthur d. » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:01 pm

Leo Sullivan wrote:Here is an old picture of Salmon Falls Station. LS

Not to diminish your contribution,this is a fantastic photo, but these are different lines. The lower track is the old Portsmouth, Great Falls and Conway RR. nee Great Falls and S. Berwick RR. It connected to the Eastern RR. at Jewett, and was in fact later absorbed by the Eastern which subsequently was taken over by the B&M. The upper track is the B&M western division. The train is west bound, just crossing into Rollinsford NH from S. Berwick Me.
arthur d.

Postby Manalishi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:23 am

Moving on to Highpine. This is where the Eastern crossed under Rt. 109 in Wells. I took this in 2005. The view is looking south towards N. Berwick. Wells depot would have been on my right. This bridge was a replacement for an earlier bridge and was, in turn, replaced about 10 years later.

The vintage postcard shows Rt. 109 and the bridge looking towards Sanford about 1910. Also shown is Wells depot, perched on an embankment overlooking the tracks.

Last shot, same view in 2016, showing the modern replacement bridge. Wells depot is long gone. The house on the right is the same in both photos.

By the way, for those that don't know, you can click on each photo to enlarge.
Attachments
109 bridge.jpg
wells depot.jpg
wells today.JPG
Manalishi

Postby MEC407 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:42 am

I'm especially appreciative of these photos. My family attended what was originally known as the First Baptist Church of Wells Depot, later renamed the Highpine Baptist Church, located not far from that bridge.
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
MEC407

Postby Manalishi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:05 pm

Thanks MEC407. "Highpine" was another name for the Wells depot. Where did the name come from?
Manalishi

Postby MEC407 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:58 pm

Wells has several historic "villages" (read: geographically-large neighborhoods): Wells Corner, Wells Branch, Wells Beach, Merriland Ridge, Moody, Kennebunk (before it became a separate town in 1820), Ogunquit (before it became a separate town in 1980), Highpine, and several others. I'll have to search for my Wells history books to give you an answer for when and how the name Highpine was chosen, but I suspect it was related to the especially tall pine trees in that area of town. :-)
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives
MEC407

Previous

Return to Boston & Maine/Maine Central