WMATA 7000 Series to have CCTV, Electronic Maps

Discussion relating to the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Rail System (Washington D.C. Metro Area)

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

Re: WMATA 7000 Series to have CCTV, Electronic Maps

Postby JDC » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:39 pm

Sand Box John wrote:No your eyes are not deceiving you.

Saw them from the Beltway. When I went behind USDA to get a closer look I noticed the 5th car. Was unable to see the number.

I am not even going to speculate as to why it is there.

PS

WMATA's connection to the common carrier railroad network at Greenbelt Yard is now fully restored. Looks like it has seen traffic recently. I think the track work contractor that did the Silver line used the connection to bring in take out their track work building equipment.

A thing of beauty....my soon to be workplace desktop wallpaper.
Living in Alexandria, Fairfax County; Working at 14th & L
JDC

Postby JDC » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:41 pm

Sand Box John wrote:Come to think of it, that 5th car might be the first car of that 64 cars option!

The prototypes testing and evaluation program is scheduled to run about 3 months. It began shortly after the prototype set arrived on the property back in late December early January.

More pictures at cambronj.blogspot.com Greenbelt Test Track and Commissioning Facility.

John - is the parking garage for the commissioning facility itself? That seems like a big expense. Is it simply because a garage takes up less space than a parking lot, and space is at a premium there?
JDC

Postby Sand Box John » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:56 pm

"JDC"

A thing of beauty....my soon to be workplace desktop wallpaper.

The image is cropped from the original unresized picture. It was rotated 2.5 degrees because I held the camera above the security fence to get the shot and color corrected (red shifted) because the picture was taken under an overcast sky in the late afternoon.

John - is the parking garage for the commissioning facility itself?[/i]

No.

That seems like a big expense. Is it simply because a garage takes up less space than a parking lot, and space is at a premium there?

Yes.

The new parking garage increases the total number of employee parking spaces on the property. No new parking spaces were added when the new back shop was built a about a half dozen years ago. That's one of the reasons why the rail roadeo is now hosted at Branch Avenue yard. Part of the footprint of commissioning facility sits on an area that use to be for employee parking. The ground level of the parking garage is not for parking, it will be used for under cover storage.
John in the sand box of Maryland's eastern shore.
Sand Box John

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:46 am

Hopefully the first 7Ks will enter service soon and finally begin the 1K retirement party just like the TTC H4 & H5's when the TRs came!
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby tommyboy6181 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:12 pm

Here is some footage that was captured by Fox 5 showing some of the testing that is taking place. A couple of times, you can hear the Toshiba propulsion at work.
http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/25269112/i ... z2zQvR3A00

So far, it seems that the only major issue has been that the new railcars were sealed too tight, so air would get stuffy inside. Apparently that has been fixed. Other than that, it looks like Kawasaki has put together a very nice railcar.
Gotta love Alstom. Every year on opening day of hunting season, it is a paid holiday! :wink:
tommyboy6181

Postby JDC » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:08 am

tommyboy6181 wrote:Here is some footage that was captured by Fox 5 showing some of the testing that is taking place. A couple of times, you can hear the Toshiba propulsion at work.
http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/25269112/i ... z2zQvR3A00

So far, it seems that the only major issue has been that the new railcars were sealed too tight, so air would get stuffy inside. Apparently that has been fixed. Other than that, it looks like Kawasaki has put together a very nice railcar.

This whole 'sealed too tight' thing is a bit curious. I mean, the doors rattle a lot allowing in some air, but how else does air circulate if NOT because of the HVAC system? I'm now worried about that system if somehow a well sealed traincar gets stuffy.
JDC

Postby tommyboy6181 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:02 pm

SchuminWeb ended up posting some good videos of the 7000 series propulsion on YouTube earlier. However, I am going to let him do the honors of posting the links.

Anyways, what I will say is that the Toshiba system definitely sounds unique to say the least.

The links I have below sound nearly identical to what he posted.
Acceleration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFkJY7kj0ew
Deceleration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDlClkv6mI8
Gotta love Alstom. Every year on opening day of hunting season, it is a paid holiday! :wink:
tommyboy6181

Postby Sand Box John » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:16 pm

Those thing are LOUD! Most of what I am hearing sounds like gear noise. The 1k cars prerehabilitation were considerably quieter.
Sand Box John

Postby Fan Railer » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:17 pm

Sand Box John wrote:Those thing are LOUD! Most of what I am hearing sounds like gear noise. The 1k cars prerehabilitation were considerably quieter.

Both the 1K and 2K cars originally came with CAM controlled DC propulsion, iirc. That type of propulsion is fairly quiet.
Fan Railer

Postby Sand Box John » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:26 pm

"Fan Railer"

Both the 1K and 2K cars originally came with CAM controlled DC propulsion, iirc. That type of propulsion is fairly quiet.

I am well aware of that fact. I road aboard them and saw run bys more the year before the first segment opened in March of 1976.

It should also be noted that the 3k cars also had DC cam controls in them when new. The 4k car are still equipped with their original DC choppers.

When accelerating at p5 from 0 to about 20 MPH you could feel the acceleration rate change as the cam rotated changing from parallel to series-parallel to series and dropping resisters from the circuit feeding current to the traction motors. It felt like the changing of the gears in a manual transmission except considerably more subtle. An electrical engineer friend of mine described as multiple kicks in the ass.
Sand Box John

Postby YOLO » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:43 pm

the older Toshiba systems sound much better than these, sounds weird and obnoxious.

example of older Toshiba propulsion engine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zw4enZNU-U

i'm surprised to see those blue colored trains still running on the seoul metro, they must be ~30 years old at this point.
YOLO

Postby dcmike » Wed May 07, 2014 12:15 pm

Nameplate from #1 traction motor on 7004.

dcmike

Postby JDC » Wed May 07, 2014 10:07 pm

dcmike wrote:Nameplate from #1 traction motor on 7004.

I am excited for the Silver Line to open, but I am much more excited for the 7000-series cars to begin rolling the rails for revenue service.
JDC

Postby YOLO » Wed May 07, 2014 11:24 pm

The tweeties are saying that the test trains are rolling through the red line, spotted at union station today.
YOLO

PreviousNext

Return to Washington MetroRail