Miami Intermodal Center Progress

Discussion about Florida commuter rail operations including Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority in southern Florida. All Aboard Florida (Brightline) is discussed here: Florida East Coast Railway).

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

Re: Miami Intermodal Center Progress

Postby CentralValleyRail » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:31 am

first time checking this page since i posted but here is the source it has been updated to say fall 2016 but again an after thought...

http://www.micdot.com/background.html
CentralValleyRail

Re: Miami Intermodal Center Progress

Postby Noel Weaver » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:55 pm

I think this question has come up before but here goes. The station was originally intended to handle Amtrak as well as Metro-Rail (Orange Line) and Tri-Rail. It is working quite well for Metro-Rail and Tri-Rail. In fact it is the best place to connect between the two especially for the elderly and handicap. On the other hand the platform tracks are not really long enough to fully accommodate Amtrak without blocking a crossing at the north end of the station. In addition it is not really beneficial for Amtrak to use this station. Their facilities are in Hialeah adjacent to the present station and using the new facility will involve a long back up move to the yard maybe involving an extra yard job and for certain a lot more expense and time. While parking is available at the new facility it will cost to use it and at the present facility Amtrak can offer plenty of free parking. Traffic can also be a nightmare around the airport area at any time. It is not difficult for Metro-Rail or Tri-Rail passengers to transfer to Amtrak at Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale or any Tri-Rail station that Amtrak stops at. At this point I will not say that it won't ever happen but I doubt if Amtrak will use that new facility at the Miami International Airport anytime soon and maybe never. Amtrak has a major maintenance facility adjacent to their Miami passenger station in Hialeah and it is a benefit to have them close to each other.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Previous

Return to Florida Commuter Rail including Metrorail, Sunrail, Tri-Rail and Proposals