First look at the new Athearn units

Discussion about Florida commuter rail operations including Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority in southern Florida. All Aboard Florida (Brightline) is discussed here: Florida East Coast Railway).

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

First look at the new Athearn units

Postby Kurt-Trirail » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:42 pm

http://tri-rail.com/shop/proddetail.asp?prod=train003&from=19

Nice, for Athearn, but not too impressive for their RTR lineup. Rather surprising that they got the accuracy down to this extent, although the omission of the white markings on the plow ruin it somewhat.

Oh, and based around the GP50 model, of course.

-Kurt
Kurt-Trirail

Postby ApproachMedium » Sun May 25, 2008 1:34 am

Kurt, the delievered model of the engine looks far better than whats shown in the photo you provided.

Heres mine that I got 2 months ago. Ditch lights and markers were not factory, I added them afterwords.
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Postby darkcurves » Sun May 25, 2008 3:29 am

Wow, looks great! Have you tried it on the cab car, is it possible?
darkcurves

Postby ApproachMedium » Mon May 26, 2008 10:24 am

Forgot to add the rear pilot has the orange and white tiger stripes too.

The cab car is alot more difficult since they do not have wheel pickups. The same friend that did the lighting in the loco is going to do the lighting in the cab car for me. One idea we threw around was making MU jumpers that carry the rail pickup from the locomotive to the cabcar thru the train. Since locomotives are heavier and usually have a consistant track pickup. That way no flickering lights on my cab.
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Postby darkcurves » Mon May 26, 2008 12:41 pm

Yeah, i agree, to add wheel pick up, the coach has gotta be way heavier to it's current weight. Plus depending on the type of wheel pickup, it will definitely generate some amount of drag to the wheels.

I am yet to hear of operational MU hoses in HO scale! Keep us updated on this project. :-D
darkcurves

Return to Florida Commuter Rail including Metrorail, Sunrail, Tri-Rail and Proposals