Tri-Rail's Reporting Marks

Discussion about Florida commuter rail operations including Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority in southern Florida. All Aboard Florida (Brightline) is discussed here: Florida East Coast Railway).

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

Tri-Rail's Reporting Marks

Postby Eric Kreszl » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:50 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I was just in Miami and photgraphed some of the Tri-Rail Commuter trains including a DMU Car. When I posted the photos on rrpicturearchives.net I recieved several complaints the reporting marks for the locomotives and passenger cars were incorrect. The letters I used were TRCX and should have been labeled FTR. I used TRCX because F40PH #811 had those letters on the side of the locomotive.

Was I correct???

Eric
Eric Kreszl

Location: Little Silver NJ NJT NJCL Signal/Milepost L18.8 Home signal

Postby Kurt-Trirail » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:47 am

I know for certain that TRCX are the reporting marks for the motive power - not sure about the DMU's or cars however, for I've heard about half a dozen (and the lettering is not marked on the Bombardiers, if I recall right), and I dare say half of them are incorrect.

Stick to your guns on the TRCX though - most of the other reporting marks everybody else tells you are concoctions of sheer nonsense.

Take care,

-Kurt
Kurt-Trirail

Postby DutchRailnut » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:21 am

Commuter railroads in general do not have reporting marks, since fleet is captive to a few lines.
When shiped off property they usually are shipped under rebuilders reporting marks, like MPEX or BBDX etc.
only reporting marks commuter agencies use is for MofW equipment as it usually needs to travel off line to be loaded with balast etc.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby wigwagfan » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:18 am

DutchRailnut wrote:Commuter railroads in general do not have reporting marks, since fleet is captive to a few lines.

TriMet (Portland, OR) is assigned the reporting mark TMTC (despite currently owning zero equipment; it also has a railroad mark despite not being an operating railroad.)
Southern California Regional Rail Authority (a.k.a. Metrolink) is assigned SCAX.
New Mexico Rail Runner is assigned NMRX.
Central Puget Sound Regional Transit Agency (a.k.a. Sound Transit/Sounder) is assigned SDRX.

As for Tri-Rail, it's definitely TRCX, as their DMUs are lettered as such judging from multiple photos found online. It does appear that when the cars were in delivery that they did carry CRMX reporting marks but that the reporting marks clearly appear to have been temporary on top of the TRCX marks. Don't know why...
--------------------------------------------------
Erik Halstead - Portland, Oregon
wigwagfan

Postby Kurt-Trirail » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:10 am

wigwagfan wrote:It does appear that when the cars were in delivery that they did carry CRMX reporting marks but that the reporting marks clearly appear to have been temporary on top of the TRCX marks. Don't know why...

Easy - CRMX, Colorado Railcar. Probably temporaries until the cars officially changed hands.

-Kurt
Kurt-Trirail

Postby cpontani » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:40 am

According to Wikipedia, the bastion of all knowledge, TRCX does not belong to Tri-Rail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AA ... g_marks:_T

(EDIT by mod: Was attempting to quote your post, and ended up half-deleting it. I have reposted it according to the quote in the post below. My apologies.)
cpontani

Postby chuchubob » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:31 pm

cpontani wrote:According to Wikipedia, the bastion of all knowledge, TRCX does not belong to Tri-Rail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AAR_reporting_marks:_T

According to AAR, perhaps TRCX does belong to Tri-Rail.
chuchubob

Postby DutchRailnut » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:35 pm

The site you quote as AAR is not AAR but just another railfan site.
And their stuff is not official either look at MNCX ;-)
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby Kurt-Trirail » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:04 pm

"According to Wikipedia"

That's a good joke in itself. Pulled right out of all-acronyms.com:

http://www.all-acronyms.com/?t=trcx

No evidence on Google as to what buisness "Treco Sales, Inc." is in - except for another incorrect usage of the term on RRpicturearchive.net.

Revised on Wikipedia. Time to stop any further confusion.

Take care,

-Kurt
Kurt-Trirail

Postby Kurt-Trirail » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:56 pm

Incidentally, here is a YT video of the new DMU's at Deerfield - pay close attention as they roll out of the station, and you'll see a "TRCX" reporting mark at the rear of the power car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGsz3x1pjJk

-Kurt
Kurt-Trirail

Return to Florida Commuter Rail including Metrorail, Sunrail, Tri-Rail and Proposals