All Aboard Florida: Discussion

Discussion about Florida commuter rail operations including Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority in southern Florida. All Aboard Florida (Brightline) is discussed here: Florida East Coast Railway).

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

All Aboard Florida: Discussion

Postby Kurt-Trirail » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:38 am

Please direct all discussion relating to the AAF initiative to the respective thread on the FEC forum: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=94565

References:
http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/18/3 ... k-for.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=All+Abo ... =firefox-a

-Kurt
Kurt-Trirail

Re: All Aboard Florida: Discussion

Postby electricron » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:18 am

Isn't All Aboard Florida going to be passenger rail? Shouldn't it be discussed under Passenger forums and not under Freight whether it's Class I or Class II? I'll agree TriRail may not be the best forum to discuss All Aboard Florida, maybe Passenger Rail General discussions is the best place now.
electricron

Postby chrsjrcj » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:35 am

While the Tri-Rail forum probably isn't the best place to discuss this matter, I do second the opinion that the AAF thread in the FEC forum should be moved back to the General Passenger Rail forum.
chrsjrcj

Postby Noel Weaver » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:26 pm

Passenger rail regardless of what it is called should remain on the Florida East Coast. If it is moved elsewhere I will not have anything to do with it.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Brightline

Postby CentralValleyRail » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:05 pm

This threat should be renamed accordingly.

Very exciting to see this finally happening. Although there is a no real need for it until Phase 2 becomes a reality..
CentralValleyRail

Re: Brightline

Postby CentralValleyRail » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:07 am

Yeah where? It's not in "Florida Commuter Rail including Metrorail, Sunrail, Tri-Rail and Proposals"

EDIT: I found it under "freight railroads" Hello It's not a freight train. I get it's owned by FEC but it's a passegner line and should be put there. Should we have Amtrak under CSX since CSX and Norfolk Southern own 70% of the operating territory?
CentralValleyRail

Postby SemperFidelis » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:14 am

Cool! An arguement that doesn't involve the name Trump or the word Turboliner...how quaint.
SemperFidelis

Re: Brightline

Postby Rockingham Racer » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:46 am

CentralValleyRail wrote:EDIT: I found it under "freight railroads" Hello It's not a freight train. I get it's owned by FEC but it's a passegner line and should be put there. Should we have Amtrak under CSX since CSX and Norfolk Southern own 70% of the operating territory?

Valid observation!
Rockingham Racer

Postby deathtopumpkins » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:54 am

I'd leave it with FEC. It's kinda a unique situation since it is a freight railroad (or rather the holding company that owns it) getting into the passenger business. The Amtrak comparison is apples-to-oranges, since CSX and NS do not own Amtrak. If CSX or NS started operating their own passenger trains, I'd expect to see discussion of such in the respective forum.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby scratchy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:46 pm

SemperFidelis wrote:Cool! An arguement that doesn't involve the name Trump or the word Turboliner...how quaint.

http://www.core77.com/posts/30641/Americas-Failed-1979-Supertrain I have a suggestion!
scratchy

Postby SemperFidelis » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:16 pm

At risk of being banned...

Why don't they refurbish those and run them on the new Florida service?

MODS: My tongue is firmly in cheek here.
SemperFidelis

Postby electricron » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:35 pm

For the very same reason why Amtrak doesn't want to run them, they are fuel hogs.
electricron

Postby SemperFidelis » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:45 pm

I thought it was pretty clear I was joking. No one wants to relitigate the Turboliner arguements of the past.
SemperFidelis

Postby CentralValleyRail » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:55 am

deathtopumpkins wrote:I'd leave it with FEC. It's kinda a unique situation since it is a freight railroad (or rather the holding company that owns it) getting into the passenger business. The Amtrak comparison is apples-to-oranges, since CSX and NS do not own Amtrak. If CSX or NS started operating their own passenger trains, I'd expect to see discussion of such in the respective forum.

If you want to go there Kelios owns VRE, shall we rename that thread too?

It's not my forum you will do what you want. I'm just pointing out that it's not exactly easy to find. I do get the uniqueness to the situation nothing of this magnitude has been done (via private funding) in a LONG LONG time.
CentralValleyRail

Postby mmi16 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:07 am

Kelios does not own VRE. Northern Virginia Transportation Commission (NVTC) is the owner. Keolis is the company that NVTC hired to operate the service after their contract with Amtrak expired several years ago.
Never too old to have a happy childhood!
mmi16

Next

Return to Florida Commuter Rail including Metrorail, Sunrail, Tri-Rail and Proposals