How is Brightline doing so far at filling its Trains?

Discussion about Florida commuter rail operations including Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority in southern Florida. All Aboard Florida (Brightline) is discussed here: Florida East Coast Railway).

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

How is Brightline doing so far at filling its Trains?

Postby MikeinNeb » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:22 pm

Anybody know anything?
MikeinNeb

Re: How is Brightline doing so far at filling its Trains?

Postby Rockingham Racer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:48 am

Anecdotal reports that I've come across [2] say around 10 per trip.
Rockingham Racer

Postby SouthernRailway » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:24 pm

10 per trip is horrid. Hopefully Brightline expected that at this stage (i.e., hopefully the ridership projections for this stage, however low, were accurate so that future expansion isn't imperiled).
SouthernRailway

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:37 pm

Since the train is traveling between two cities that aren't considered major, the ridership isn't strong. Once the trains start running to Miami, then you will get a lot more riders.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby CentralValleyRail » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:49 am

I was on the 4pm Brightline train out of PBI enroute to FLL last Friday. The Select Coach (business class for lack of a better word) was filled to capacity if it wasn't there was maybe one open seat. The VP had a group of 6 or 7 men on the train ( judging by the $600 shoes some of them were wearing my guess was maybe investors into the train) By the time the attendant got around to the final passenger the train was practically in FLL. I can see this being more of an issue when the service routinely has a full crowd.

The other 3 coaches maybe had 15 people between the 3 coaches but 50 people or so in select is not bad. I spoke with the PBI station manager who actually will be the Miami Station manager when it opens and he said they were expecting NO ONE and while crowds haven't been surging he said they have gotten more than expected. He also said they are running the service at a loss right now but it has made the training process quite smooth.
CentralValleyRail

Postby MikeinNeb » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:30 am

Did he have any idea when service to Miami will start? Their station is literally just blocks away from the waterfront and the Miami Boat show location.
MikeinNeb

Postby chrsjrcj » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:28 am

Rockingham Racer wrote:Anecdotal reports that I've come across [2] say around 10 per trip.

Looking at the seat map on the website I could 31 seats unavailable (presumably sold) for the 11:55 am departure from Fort Lauderdale and that is with a $20 price point up from the initial $15. In the "cheap seats" I count 28 unavailable, and that's for half the price.

I know weekend and midday service has been doing better than the conventional rush hour trains. With limited areas served and high prices it is definitely more for leisure riders as opposed to daily commuters (Tri-Rail does a decent job at that, and will even more so once the DT Miami link opens).
chrsjrcj

Postby SouthernRailway » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:57 pm

I see that the Brightline CEO reported that trains are getting 3x the expected ridership. That's good!
SouthernRailway

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:57 am

That’s a very good start! After it is extended to Miami, I will imagine that the ridership figures will go even higher and when it is extended to Orlando.
njt/mnrrbuff

Return to Florida Commuter Rail including Metrorail, Sunrail, Tri-Rail and Proposals