Interesting consists

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

Re: Interesting consists

Postby glennk419 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:21 pm

RDGAndrew wrote:Push-pull set including a Sprinter made a round trip to (I assume) Warminster midday today, towed by an end-cab diesel. Didn’t catch any numbers, since I only saw it from a distance/from the car. It was through Jenkintown around noon and inbound through Willow Grove at 1:15. If it was a qualifying run, seems odd that it would have had diesel power. Any guesses?

Crews need to qualify on different types of power which could explain the diesel. I live near the Warminster line and didn't hear any unusual horns midday.
Glenn
glennk419

Postby RDGAndrew » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:13 pm

That’s what threw me - the horn sounded like a SLV.
"Am Gleis drei bitte einsteigen - Türen schliessen selbsttätig. Vorsicht bei der Abfahrt!"
RDGAndrew

Postby mcgrath618 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:42 pm

My friend sent me a picture of not one, but two SLIIIs at Wayne Jct. today. Would anyone know anything about these? I thought they were all scrapped.
mcgrath618

Postby glennk419 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:01 pm

mcgrath618 wrote:My friend sent me a picture of not one, but two SLIIIs at Wayne Jct. today. Would anyone know anything about these? I thought they were all scrapped.

I believe there is one SLII, ex-RDG Class Unit 9001, and one SLIII still behind the shop at Wayne Junction. The Reading unit is allegedly slated to move to the RCT&HS in Hamburg. No idea on the disposition of the other car.
Glenn
glennk419

Postby mcgrath618 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:19 pm

glennk419 wrote:
mcgrath618 wrote:My friend sent me a picture of not one, but two SLIIIs at Wayne Jct. today. Would anyone know anything about these? I thought they were all scrapped.

I believe there is one SLII, ex-RDG Class Unit 9001, and one SLIII still behind the shop at Wayne Junction. The Reading unit is allegedly slated to move to the RCT&HS in Hamburg. No idea on the disposition of the other car.

These were definitively IIIs.
https://i.imgur.com/g3lT1Zl.jpg
mcgrath618

Postby glennk419 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:02 pm

I believe the car on the left is indeed a SLIII but the car on the right appears to be a SLII. The windows are more oval than rectangular and the roof extension above the headlight can be seen on the II. I appears that the picture was taken from the Chestnut Hill line and the SLII is closer to the shop building.

You and also see the difference in the roof lines including the fluting on the Budd car in this aerial shot.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0267226,-75.1568905,31m/data=!3m1!1e3
Glenn
glennk419

Postby Silverliner II » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:43 pm

mcgrath618 wrote:
glennk419 wrote:

These were definitively IIIs.
https://i.imgur.com/g3lT1Zl.jpg

It is indeed one of each, Silverliner II 9001, and Silverliner III 23x (forget the number). Last I heard, the Louie was on a legal hold, but that was a few years ago.
"*BEEEEEP!!!* Three-Three! Three! No Alarms!"
(announcement from CN hotbox/dragging equipment detector, Milepost 33, track #3, Oakville Subdivision)
Silverliner II

Previous

Return to SEPTA (and PATCO)