Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

Re: Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

Postby BuddSilverliner269 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:50 pm

Matthew Mitchell wrote:
Nasadowsk wrote:Is there any rhyme or reason as to where the SL II/IIIs are going to be?

Well, they aren't on any runs that start or end at Frazer.

This is not necessarily true at all Matt. All MU cars are prohibited from being stored at Fraser except GE's 400-499 and thats because they have been flushed of PCB's. I dont think they really follow that rule anymore since they do have equipment issues many times and I have taken my fair share of trains out of there in the early AM with Budds. The Budds are allowed to be stored on the "storage track" which is basically between the HBG main line and the body of the yard. Trains spin in Fraser yard all day and everyday that have Budds on them.
BuddSilverliner269
 
Posts: 3662
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:40 am
Location: Trenton Line MP 30.70

Re: Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

Postby green_elite_cab » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:03 pm

If i had a better camera with a long distance lense, my lab bench might be a good spot. I can see all the way up the Reading lines approaching the center city tunnel!

This is the best shot i got. I had a shot with three trains all at once, but there was a smudge on the window. Don't worry, i was waiting an hour for a lab gel to run, so i was just killing time.

Image
Elite Juice Jack Modeler.
User avatar
green_elite_cab
 
Posts: 757
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:45 pm
Location: Hainesport NJ

Re: Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

Postby Nasadowsk » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:05 pm

Some of my 16mm footage came back:

Silverliner IIs at Temple U:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r7QYK1hHw4

Leaving Chestnut Hill West:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y_j9HceY5w

It sure looks like film! :)

Technical:
Shot on a Bolex H16 Reflex, Kodak Vision 50D. Tripod used in both shots, 50mm lens (normal = 25). Developed and telecined by Spectra in LA. Edited in Final Cut Pro X. I didn't really play with the colors too much.
Nasadowsk
 
Posts: 3796
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:45 pm

Re: Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

Postby Quinn » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:32 pm

Nasadowsk wrote:Some of my 16mm footage came back:

Silverliner IIs at Temple U:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r7QYK1hHw4

Leaving Chestnut Hill West:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y_j9HceY5w

It sure looks like film! :)

Technical:
Shot on a Bolex H16 Reflex, Kodak Vision 50D. Tripod used in both shots, 50mm lens (normal = 25). Developed and telecined by Spectra in LA. Edited in Final Cut Pro X. I didn't really play with the colors too much.


Was that you with the camera at the Rail Rodeo?
Quinn
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:49 pm

Re: Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

Postby Matthew Mitchell » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:07 pm

Quinn wrote:Was that you with the camera at the Rail Rodeo?

[sixty people raise their hands]
Matthew Mitchell
 
Posts: 5168
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:48 pm
Location: Glenside PA

Re: Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

Postby Nasadowsk » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:48 am

If you saw a guy with a Bolex, yeah, that was me...
Nasadowsk
 
Posts: 3796
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:45 pm

Re: Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

Postby Quinn » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Matthew Mitchell wrote:
Quinn wrote:Was that you with the camera at the Rail Rodeo?

[sixty people raise their hands]


Hahaha. Touche! :) I work in TV, so when I think "camera", in my head that's video.
Quinn
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:49 pm

Re: Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

Postby Nasadowsk » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:42 pm

FWIW, I got back all those Bolex rolls (minus two) and mashed the good parts into a film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V05TynayuP

Enjoy!
Nasadowsk
 
Posts: 3796
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:45 pm

Re: Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

Postby Quinn » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:36 pm

Nasadowsk wrote:FWIW, I got back all those Bolex rolls (minus two) and mashed the good parts into a film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V05TynayuP

Enjoy!


Clicking on the link results in "The URL contained a malformed video ID. " :(
Quinn
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:49 pm

Re: Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

Postby chuchubob » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:13 pm

Quinn wrote:
Nasadowsk wrote:FWIW, I got back all those Bolex rolls (minus two) and mashed the good parts into a film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V05TynayuP

Enjoy!


Clicking on the link results in "The URL contained a malformed video ID. " :(


Try this:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/V05TynayuPg
chuchubob
 
Posts: 5869
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:55 pm
Location: South Jersey

Re: Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

Postby aquadan005 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:00 pm

chuchubob wrote:
Quinn wrote:
Nasadowsk wrote:FWIW, I got back all those Bolex rolls (minus two) and mashed the good parts into a film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V05TynayuP

Enjoy!


Clicking on the link results in "The URL contained a malformed video ID. " :(


Try this:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/V05TynayuPg


that was a nice trip on the rails> :)
The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese!!
User avatar
aquadan005
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: S.E. Montgomery County PA

Re: Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

Postby askclifford » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:21 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ynxkOjvN6k

Paoli Station and Frazer Yard

View it in full 1080p!
User avatar
askclifford
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 10:45 am

Re: Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

Postby loufah » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:10 pm

Looking for suggestions on where to take photos of trains alongside scenic fall foliage, especially places one can get to without needing a car.
loufah
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:47 am

Re: Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

Postby Matthew Mitchell » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:25 pm

Fall foliage? The P&W.
Matthew Mitchell
 
Posts: 5168
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:48 pm
Location: Glenside PA

Re: Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

Postby chuchubob » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Matthew Mitchell wrote:Fall foliage? The P&W.

You think?
chuchubob
 
Posts: 5869
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:55 pm
Location: South Jersey

PreviousNext

Return to SEPTA (and PATCO)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests