Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

Re: Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

Postby Genjinaro » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Trenton is a nice spot, you get to see almost every type of Regional Rail rolling stock, pass through & you have the higher vantage point to get your shots on the platform. If you are really good with your camera & have a good zoom you can get some overhead shots from the terminal.

20th & JFK is also a great location for overhead shots.
Genjinaro

Postby Matthew Mitchell » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:36 am

A reminder that since the arrest of two men conspiring to plant a bomb on the Maple Leaf and the bombing in Boston that well-meaning citizens are going to suspicious about people taking pictures of trains. Carry ID and please be courteous and cooperative if law enforcement personnel ask you to identify yourself and what you are doing. That way both you and the officer can get the encounter over quickly and get on with your Now is not the time to try and make a statement about civil rights: it's just going to cause some officers to act like jerks with the next railfan they see.
Matthew Mitchell

Postby fl9m2004 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:52 pm

I like 30th street station
Because of the new food court
And u can see the Keystone trains switching ends
Plus more trains come through there then in New Haven, Connecticut
Plus you can watch the Pennsylvanian switch engines
fl9m2004

Postby drewh » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:20 am

I vote for Market East. Not only is there regional rail with views from above the platform IIRC, but theres Patco which offers great views from the Ben Franklin Bridge, Market Frankford line, Broad Ridge spur, and old Reading Terminal, including the market underneath for good food. University City and Trenton too.
drewh

Location: Metuchen, NJ (NEC MP 25.3), and Montréal, QC (métro Sherbrooke)

Postby 4400Washboard » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:52 pm

30th Street and Trenton are best, especially at sunset and sunrise. Best Silverliner IV shots I have came from 30th and the best Silverliner Vs came from Trenton, hence my recommendation.
MTA project completion date calculator Take the MTA 's estimate for completion and add 8 years to that.
4400Washboard

Postby PhilliesPhan2013 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:47 am

Any spot on the NEC in Delaware County. All different types of SEPTA Regional Rail Trains fly down these tracks. Everything from the Silverliner IV and Vs, the AEM-7, and even the occasional wire train pass by. Chester is a perfect station to railfan at for me. I do want to take a trip to the SEPTA Main Line eventually. I heard that the action is great over there!
If I fail to make it to medical school, I will become a SEPTA engineer.
PhilliesPhan2013

Postby Darryl Rule » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:30 pm

Woodbourne is a nice place to sit where you don't get bothered and there are usually a few other guys hanging around so you have someone to talk to. Here is a shot from Woodbourne tonight with the ALP-44:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32402529@N07/14439776562/in/photostream/
Darryl Rule

Postby jonnhrr » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:34 am

PhilliesPhan2013 wrote:Any spot on the NEC in Delaware County. All different types of SEPTA Regional Rail Trains fly down these tracks. Everything from the Silverliner IV and Vs, the AEM-7, and even the occasional wire train pass by. Chester is a perfect station to railfan at for me. I do want to take a trip to the SEPTA Main Line eventually. I heard that the action is great over there!

Agreed. I used to like to railfan at the Ridley Park station, you get a good view of trains approaching from the East, in a fairly safe neighborhood.

I guess the main drawback vs. the NEC East of Philly is you don't get to see the Keystone Service and other trains that go NYC-PHL.

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby ChrisU » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:29 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before but I was wondering if anyone knows where I can go to see the most Push Pull trains in a day including non-revenue moves.
ChrisU

Postby nomis » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:21 pm

Above Ground: 20th & JFK to 30th St Upper
Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.
nomis

Postby ChrisU » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:19 am

Thanks, what would be the best time to go?
ChrisU

Postby chuchubob » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:42 am

ChrisU wrote:Thanks, what would be the best time to go?

afternoon peak for best light
chuchubob

Previous

Return to SEPTA (and PATCO)