PATCO 50th anniversary

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

PATCO 50th anniversary

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:28 pm

PATCO's big anniversary is right around the corner, with the Budd cars built and tested in 1968, partial service on January 4, 1969 and the grand opening of the full line on Saturday, February 15, 1969. So far, the PATCO website has nothing posted yet.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Re: PATCO 50th anniversary 1969-2019

Postby MACTRAXX » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:35 pm

R36 and Everyone:

50 years ago today - January 4, 1969 PATCO began their interim service over the newly-constructed
line segment between Camden and Lindenwold. This lasted for about six weeks until the full line into
Philadelphia replacing the Camden-Locust Bridge Line service was opened on February 15, 1969.

This was a big milestone for PATCO - with the more important anniversary being February 15 when
the line was officially completed and full service into Philadelphia began.

Remembering how PATCO commemorated their 25th Anniversary I look forward to see how PATCO
celebrates this significant anniversary year...Anyone have any memories of PATCO's early years?

http://www.ridepatco.org/about/history.html

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Re: PATCO 50th anniversary

Postby glennk419 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:44 pm

Looks like PATCO will be recognizing the 50th Anniversary afterall:

https://www.njherald.com/article/20190121/AP/301219988#
Glenn
glennk419

Postby liftedjeep » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:29 pm

Ticket 2.jpg
I stopped by the Collingswood PATCO Hi-Speed Line station and picked up one of the 50th anniversary commemorative tickets. Pretty cool that PATCO did this for its semicentennial celebration! (see scan)
Ben
Check out my photo collection! : http://bkranefeld.rrpicturearchives.net
liftedjeep

Location: Along the former Camden & Burlington County Railroad

Postby MACTRAXX » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:27 pm

Ben: Thanks for posting a picture of PATCO's 50th Anniversary paper ticket.

25 years ago (1994) PATCO issued 25th Anniversary legacy tickets for all three ticket types
then in use which were one ride, two ride and ten ride in these colors:
Red-All Philadelphia Stations and City Hall and Broadway (WRTC) in Camden.
Orange-Philadelphia to Ferry Avenue, Camden.
Green-Philadelphia to Collingswood, Westmont and Haddonfield.
Blue-Philadelphia to Woodcrest, Ashland and Lindenwold.
Brown-Any two New Jersey stations (Lindenwold to City Hall-Camden).
These 25th Anniversary tickets were sold along with regular legacy tickets that were in use.
They were used until the PATCO legacy tickets were eliminated in favor of the Freedom Card.

I have a set of these one way tickets stored away someplace - they are good collectibles...
MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby MACTRAXX » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:24 pm

Everyone:

At all PATCO stations between 7AM and 9AM on Friday February 15 there will be ceremonies to
commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the opening of the completed PATCO line to Philadelphia.

From information sent to me there is going to be a PATCO 50th Anniversary ceremony on Friday
February 15, 2019 at Woodcrest Station beginning at 9:00 AM. I found it interesting Woodcrest
was to be the station selected being that it was not part of the original line (open 1980).

I recall attending an event during the introductory promotion of the Freedom Card at Woodcrest
and remember that the station lobby has adequate room along with the center third track for a
special anniversary train that may be part of the festivities.

MACTRAXX
MACTRAXX

Postby MACTRAXX » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:01 pm

Everyone:

PATCO has announced for a five hour period (6 to 11 AM) that they will have 1969 fares in effect
on Friday February 15, 2019 for PATCO's 50th Anniversary:
30 cents - All Philadelphia Stations and City Hall and Broadway in Camden
40 cents - All Philadelphia Stations and Ferry Avenue, Camden
50 cents - All Philadelphia Stations and Collingswood, Westmont and Haddonfield
60 cents - All Philadelphia Stations and Woodcrest, Ashland and Lindenwold
30 cents - Any two Philadelphia Stations (8/Market to 15/16 Locust)
40 cents - All New Jersey Stations (City Hall Camden to Lindenwold)

If there is any further announcement about special PATCO programs or services add them to
this topic...MACTRAXX
MACTRAXX

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:15 pm

MACTRAXX wrote:PATCO has announced for a five hour period (6 to 11 AM) that they will have 1969 fares in effect
on Friday February 15, 2019 for PATCO's 50th Anniversary:
30 cents - All Philadelphia Stations and City Hall and Broadway in Camden
30 cents - Any two Philadelphia Stations
40 cents - All New Jersey Stations (City Hall Camden to Lindenwold)
Interesting to note PATCO did not charge a surcharge or toll for crossing the Ben Franklin Bridge (as the interstate fare from City Hall/Broadway being the same as the intra-Philadelphia local fare), unlike BART which has levied a surcharge for all trips via the Transbay Tube.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby drinkatoast » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:58 pm

I was a S Jersey resident at the time who'd been closely following the PATCO project, even remember going to see the under-construction Haddonfield station. Early & frequent rider. MY issue, ever since, has been that NOTHING was ever done on the 2 other planned routes: to Moorestown (u can still see that ramps for that at the Camden tunnel exit) and Woodbury/Gloucester Co. The proposed completion dates for these were 1975!
drinkatoast

Postby RRspatch » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:39 am

drinkatoast wrote:I was a S Jersey resident at the time who'd been closely following the PATCO project, even remember going to see the under-construction Haddonfield station. Early & frequent rider. MY issue, ever since, has been that NOTHING was ever done on the 2 other planned routes: to Moorestown (u can still see that ramps for that at the Camden tunnel exit) and Woodbury/Gloucester Co. The proposed completion dates for these were 1975!

Back when I lived in south Jersey from 1985 until 1996 the Cherry Hill library had a complete set of documents showing the planned three branch PATCO system. The large books showed planned station sites and routing for the tracks. You might stop by the Cherry Hill public library and see if they still have them. The old building was torn down some years ago and a new building erected in it's place. Therefor it's possible the planning documents might have been thrown out.
Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel
Is just a freight train coming your way

No leaf clover ~ Metallica.
RRspatch

Postby JeffK » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:23 am

drinkatoast wrote:I was a S Jersey resident at the time who'd been closely following the PATCO project, even remember going to see the under-construction Haddonfield station. Early & frequent rider. MY issue, ever since, has been that NOTHING was ever done on the 2 other planned routes: to Moorestown (u can still see that ramps for that at the Camden tunnel exit) and Woodbury/Gloucester Co. The proposed completion dates for these were 1975!

That's the story of the whole region. Back in the mi-1970s we on the PA side were promised that within a few years PATCO would be extended to University City, the P&W would go to K of P and beyond ("I'll put my hand on a stack of Bibles", one planner told me), and BSS and/or MFSE expansion would be underway.

Then again, it only took something like 75 years for the commuter tunnel to go from conception to completion. If the airport were operated that way they'd still be planning accommodations for Connies and DC-6s. 😡
Requiem for it's/its, your/you're, than/then, less/fewer. They were once such nice words with such different meanings...
JeffK

Postby mcgrath618 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:16 pm

JeffK wrote:

That's the story of the whole region. Back in the mi-1970s we on the PA side were promised that within a few years PATCO would be extended to University City, the P&W would go to K of P and beyond ("I'll put my hand on a stack of Bibles", one planner told me), and BSS and/or MFSE expansion would be underway.

Then again, it only took something like 75 years for the commuter tunnel to go from conception to completion. If the airport were operated that way they'd still be planning accommodations for Connies and DC-6s. 😡

Things are looking up as far as funding goes nowadays compared to back then. We are actually getting that long desired KOP spur now, and the Roosevelt Blvd BSL extension is looking more feasible by the day.
mcgrath618

Postby chuchubob » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:02 am

PATCO 50th anniversary celebration at Woodcrest station Friday.
I didn't stay for the ceremony.
chuchubob

Postby JeffK » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:47 am

mcgrath618 wrote:We are actually getting that long desired KOP spur now, and the Roosevelt Blvd BSL extension is looking more feasible by the day.

I'm keeping my fingers tightly crossed. I've been a citizen participant in many of the K of P spur meetings and planning sessions and yes, most of the stars have finally aligned. The big IF of course is what goes on in DC, given probably the most transit-hostile administration in many decades.

Most of the frustration I was expressing was with the s l o w w w pace of transit planning in this area. It seems that projects in many other cities can go from conception to operation in less time than it takes for this area to get one off the drawing board. When the first parts of the Mall went up in the 1960s (remember Korvette's?) there was soon talk about building out the P&W; that idea faded quickly as did multiple false starts since then. Even this current - and hopefully successful - project has been underway for something like 8 years and its completion date may slip yet again. You really have to wonder how K of P might have turned out if there'd been a solid rail "spine" to anchor development instead of its current 97% reliance on cars.
Requiem for it's/its, your/you're, than/then, less/fewer. They were once such nice words with such different meanings...
JeffK

Return to SEPTA (and PATCO)