SEPTA SLIV Fire at Glenside

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

SEPTA SLIV Fire at Glenside

Postby glennk419 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:13 pm

6ABC is showing SLIV 144 burning at Glenside Station. It appears to be more than a traction motor as there is active fire under the car. Pan is dropped and obviously all crew and passengers evacuated.

Edit: flames now visible through the dynamic brake grids. Not a good situation.

Currently no active firefighting going only, probably waiting for catenary to be de-energized.

https://6abc.com/septa-train-on-fire-at-glenside-station/4090207/
Glenn
glennk419

Re: SEPTA SLIV Fire at Glenside

Postby zebrasepta » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:12 pm

glennk419 wrote:6ABC is showing SLIV 144 burning at Glenside Station. It appears to be more than a traction motor as there is active fire under the car. Pan is dropped and obviously all crew and passengers evacuated.

Edit: flames now visible through the dynamic brake grids. Not a good situation.

Currently no active firefighting going only, probably waiting for catenary to be de-energized.

https://6abc.com/septa-train-on-fire-at-glenside-station/4090207/

Service resumed
Warminster : Service has resumed with delays of up to 30 minutes. Train #3448 will be the first train to depart Center City to Warminster.
Lansdale/Doylestown : Service has resumed with delays of up to 30 minutes. Train #6572 will be the first train to depart Center City to Doylestown.
zebrasepta

Postby glennk419 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:43 pm

I'm guessing that 143 is going to need a new mate.
Glenn
glennk419

Postby zebrasepta » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:44 pm

glennk419 wrote:I'm guessing that 143 is going to need a new mate.

The Silverliner IVs are getting older some are 45 years old, so they'll need to be replaced soon although I won't miss them as much as the II's and the III's
Does SEPTA have any design plan for the VIs or are they going to be the same design concept as the Vs?
zebrasepta

Postby BuddCar711 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:16 pm

We don't know the extent of the damage. Anyhoo, could be something flew into the resister grid and caught fire. As far as the Silverliner VI, SEPTA may order them sooner than expected because SEPTA was hoping for at least another 7 years from the SL-IVs. I'm surprised the SL-IVs went this far without a proper GOH.
BuddCar711

Postby glennk419 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:03 pm

BuddCar711 wrote:

We don't know the extent of the damage. Anyhoo, could be something flew into the resister grid and caught fire. As far as the Silverliner VI, SEPTA may order them sooner than expected because SEPTA was hoping for at least another 7 years from the SL-IVs. I'm surprised the SL-IVs went this far without a proper GOH.

I watched the extended live chopper video and the fire definitely started under the car and then extended up through the center columns to the brake grid. At one point, there was smoke coming from the vents on the rear of the car which leads me to believe that the fire breached the interior panels.
Glenn
glennk419

Postby CNJGeep » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:45 pm

BuddCar711 wrote:We don't know the extent of the damage.

The entire middle of the car looks like a Smore.
"I'll keep moving through the dark, with you in my heart, my blood brother." RIP D.C.
CNJGeep

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:09 pm

If two Arrow IIs could be converted to cab cars, here's another waiting.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby glennk419 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:02 pm

Has anyone seen any updates on the cause of this fire or whether 144 is a complete write off?
Glenn
glennk419

Postby MACTRAXX » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:49 am

zebrasepta wrote:

The Silverliner IVs are getting older some are 45 years old, so they'll need to be replaced soon although I won't miss them as much as the II's and the III's
Does SEPTA have any design plan for the VIs or are they going to be the same design concept as the Vs?

ZS and Everyone:
The Silverliner Four cars were built during the years 1974-75-76 making them 42-43-44 years old currently. The original order 1974-75; The add-on 1975-76.
The first cars were the single RDG cars 9018-9031 dating from the final months of 1973. The Silverliner Four introduction folder has a noticeably photoshopped
picture of #9018 with the Art Museum in the background taken from the vicinity of 30th Street Station. Most likely on display being a RDG car in PC territory.

#144 was a RDG car dating from 1976 that was likely delivered after Conrail Day (April 1st) since it never had the RDG diamond herald as the early 100 series
pairs had...The fire likely was a result of overheated components during the late August heat wave. More then likely SEPTA is "hiding" this car at Wayne Electric
or it was towed through to Overbrook...As for Silverliner Six cars: Does SEPTA have ANY funding in place to even offer RFPs let alone a contract? MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:36 pm

Unless SEPTA has the spare parts to rebuild that car,any usable parts will be pulled off the remains,and a write off. :wink:
Backshophoss

Return to SEPTA (and PATCO)