SEPTA Southwest Connection Improvement Program

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

SEPTA Southwest Connection Improvement Program

Postby zebrasepta » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:30 pm

Seems like a huge project is coming for SEPTA improving Arsenal and other areas.
http://www.septa.org/southwestconnection/index.html
Overall Program Scope

Reconfigure and replace the existing Arsenal Interlocking (area of switches)
Remove the existing Walnut Interlocking and realign rail
Create a new Interlocking and turn back track near University City Station
Replace the overhead contact system and the Overhead Catenary System structures
Repair/Upgrade retaining walls and structural elements inside Walnut St Tunnel
Repair drainage structures
zebrasepta

Re: SEPTA Southwest Connection Improvement Program

Postby sammy2009 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:16 pm

This does seem like a big scope project for SEPTA. I'll be glad to see the overhead catenary system structures be replaced. The old ones are rotting away...have they been there since the beginning of the PRR ?
sammy2009

Postby CNJGeep » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:22 am

sammy2009 wrote:This does seem like a big scope project for SEPTA. I'll be glad to see the overhead catenary system structures be replaced. The old ones are rotting away...have they been there since the beginning of the PRR ?

No, those were placed in I believe the middle '20s and are far from the oldest PRR Catenary poles. The ones on the Paoli line are from 1910 and the ones on the CHW line are from about 1918.
"I'll keep moving through the dark, with you in my heart, my blood brother." RIP D.C.
CNJGeep

Postby scotty269 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:13 pm

CNJGeep wrote:
sammy2009 wrote:This does seem like a big scope project for SEPTA. I'll be glad to see the overhead catenary system structures be replaced. The old ones are rotting away...have they been there since the beginning of the PRR ?

No, those were placed in I believe the middle '20s and are far from the oldest PRR Catenary poles. The ones on the Paoli line are from 1910 and the ones on the CHW line are from about 1918.

One could argue that, while even ~15 years younger, see much more activity than the Main or CHW lines especially in the last 30 years.
scotty269

Postby zebrasepta » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:13 pm

Here's more info about the Southwest Connection Improvement Program

https://www.rtands.com/passenger/commut ... t-program/
Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) will perform work as part of the Southwest Connection Improvement Program in August aimed at rebuilding mainline infrastructure on the Media/Elwyn Regional Rail Line.

The Southwest Connection Improvement Program is a multi-stage reconstruction effort that will continue through 2020. The program scope includes reconfiguring and replacing the existing Arsenal Interlocking; removing the existing Walnut Interlocking and realigning rail, creating a new interlocking and turn back track near University City Station; repairing/upgrading retaining walls and structural elements inside Walnut Street Tunnel and repairing drainage structures.
zebrasepta

Postby JeffersonLeeEng » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:43 am

Apparent chaos on the main floor of 30th Street Station during afternoon rush hour yesterday. Passengers snaked in a disorganized line for the Wilmington train and tweeting about the seeming SEPTA failure to do more damage control...
JeffersonLeeEng

Return to SEPTA (and PATCO)