Septa push pull overview

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

Re: Septa push pull overview

Postby mcgrath618 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:30 pm

glennk419 wrote:
mcgrath618 wrote:I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say that while the double decker trains are intended only for the NEC, Keystone Corridor, and West Trenton lines, the sprinters will be paired with Comet IIs and IIIs on the Lansdale/Norristown and Media/Elwyn (by that time Media/Wawa) lines.


The Warminster line is also at capacity and hopefully with the Jenkintown substation being online and adding capacity on this side of the railroad, we'll see some more PP's.
There are actually two PP's back on the West Trenton line right now.

I've never seen PPs on the Warminster line, but it'd be cool.
I HAVE, however, seen at least one headed to Media.
mcgrath618
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:11 pm

Re: Septa push pull overview

Postby NorthPennLimited » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:53 pm

A pretty reliable source on the inside told me there are preliminary plans to run push pulls to Warminster, Doylestown, and Norristown when the next schedule change happens.

I’m guessing the next schedule change will be daylight savings? Can anyone else confirm?
NorthPennLimited
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:15 am

Re: Septa push pull overview

Postby tgolanos » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:36 pm

mcgrath618 wrote:
glennk419 wrote:
mcgrath618 wrote:I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say that while the double decker trains are intended only for the NEC, Keystone Corridor, and West Trenton lines, the sprinters will be paired with Comet IIs and IIIs on the Lansdale/Norristown and Media/Elwyn (by that time Media/Wawa) lines.


The Warminster line is also at capacity and hopefully with the Jenkintown substation being online and adding capacity on this side of the railroad, we'll see some more PP's.
There are actually two PP's back on the West Trenton line right now.

I've never seen PPs on the Warminster line, but it'd be cool.
I HAVE, however, seen at least one headed to Media.


Warminster had PPs ages ago, like 10-12 years back (if not more recently). I left the area in 2012 and I hadn't seem the PPs on the Warminster line since before that, though.
Następny przystanek: Warszawa Centralna.
tgolanos
 
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:08 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Septa push pull overview

Postby zebrasepta » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:23 pm

NorthPennLimited wrote:A pretty reliable source on the inside told me there are preliminary plans to run push pulls to Warminster, Doylestown, and Norristown when the next schedule change happens.

I’m guessing the next schedule change will be daylight savings? Can anyone else confirm?

Lansdale/Doylestown line can definitely use a push-pull especially for few of their express trains especially the afternoon express 6576 which does express from Temple University to North Wales.
zebrasepta
 
Posts: 979
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:40 am

Re: Septa push pull overview

Postby zebrasepta » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:23 pm

NorthPennLimited wrote:A pretty reliable source on the inside told me there are preliminary plans to run push pulls to Warminster, Doylestown, and Norristown when the next schedule change happens.

I’m guessing the next schedule change will be daylight savings? Can anyone else confirm?

Lansdale/Doylestown line can definitely use a push-pull especially for few of their express trains especially the afternoon express 6576 which does express from Temple University to North Wales.
zebrasepta
 
Posts: 979
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:40 am

Re: Septa push pull overview

Postby sammy2009 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:47 am

Are the push-pulls still on the Trenton Line ? I'm guessing with the more push-pull runs they can move the Silverliners around and maybe more frequent trips on some lines. ?
sammy2009
 
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:16 am

Re: Septa push pull overview

Postby CNJGeep » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:08 am

sammy2009 wrote:Are the push-pulls still on the Trenton Line ?

No. It's MUs long term because Amtrak needs equipment moved around Trenton and Ham at night, and not everyone is qualified yet.
"I'll keep moving through the dark, with you in my heart, my blood brother." RIP D.C.
CNJGeep
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: A Small Onion

Re: Septa push pull overview

Postby CNJGeep » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:10 am

The next schedule change (3/10/19) is expected to bring a 4-Car set onto the railroad, operating all day across the system.

Keep your eyes peeled for it, it'll be going to Norristown, Elwyn (Twice), Warminster, and Doylestown, as well as Thorndale.
"I'll keep moving through the dark, with you in my heart, my blood brother." RIP D.C.
CNJGeep
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: A Small Onion

Re: Septa push pull overview

Postby mcgrath618 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:57 pm

CNJGeep wrote:The next schedule change (3/10/19) is expected to bring a 4-Car set onto the railroad, operating all day across the system.

Keep your eyes peeled for it, it'll be going to Norristown, Elwyn (Twice), Warminster, and Doylestown, as well as Thorndale.

What's the reasoning behind this? Obviously not all of these are going to be express runs, so why use push pulls?
mcgrath618
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:11 pm

Re: Septa push pull overview

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:43 pm

Will that 4 car set be a push pull or will it be MUs?
njt/mnrrbuff
 
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:33 pm

Re: Septa push pull overview

Postby ChesterValley » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:28 pm

I'd be willing to bet PP. I've seen them running on Paoli I assumed they were training Engineers, not readying new service.

SEPTA also mentioned them using them for service back duing the ACS-64 release:
The new locomotives will be used to convert existing AEM-7 and ALP-44 runs on the Paoli/Thorndale, Wilmington/Newark, West Trenton, and Media/Elwyn Lines to ACS-64 locomotive runs. The new engines will also provide relief for the Silverliner IV Multiple Unit cars, which date from the early 1970's. By this October we will finally be able to say goodbye to the AEM-7 and ALP-44 locomotives.
The Scheduled 11:30 R5 Local to Malvern Next To Arrive on track 4 Section B
ChesterValley
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:18 pm
Location: Waiting on the R5 for an Amtrak train to pass

Previous

Return to SEPTA (and PATCO)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher and 4 guests