Changes to PM Fare Collection at Center City stations...

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

Changes to PM Fare Collection at Center City stations...

Postby JeffersonLeeEng » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:56 am

http://www.septa.org/fares/center-city-collection.html

Changes to PM Fare Collection
Monday - Friday, 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Effective Monday, July 10, 2017

Starting Monday, July 10th, the fare validation procedures already in place for Weekday/PM travel (Monday-Friday, 3:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.) at Temple, Jefferson, Suburban, 30th Street, and University City Stations will change as follows:
ALL Tickets will be inspected and punched, by the Fare Collection Personnel located at the stairways to the train platforms, and returned to the customer
Punched tickets must be presented to the Conductor on the train for collection - place in seat ticket slot

Customers with Passes will present them to the Fare Collection Personnel before going to the train platforms
Conductors will inspect Passes on the train - please have it visible

ALL customers traveling from these Center City Stations, on Weekdays between 3:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. must have a pre-paid fare (ticket or pass) before going to the train platform. Fares can be purchased at the Station Ticket Office

Customers traveling with valid Reduced Fare and Senior Citizen identification, including SEPTA Key Cards, must pre-purchase the appropriate ticket
Present the valid form of ID and ticket to the Fare Collection Personnel. The ticket will inspected, punched and returned
The punched ticket will be collected by the Conductor on the train

The PM Fare Collection Procedure for Temple, Jefferson, Suburban, 30th Street, and University City Station will continue until further notice
JeffersonLeeEng

Re: Changes to PM Fare Collection at Center City stations...

Postby R3 Passenger » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:30 pm

I understand that this program was begun last summer in response to the Silverliner 5 debacle since the shortage of cars led to crowded trains. It continued after regular schedules were restored. But why even keep people stationed at the platform entrances to punch tickets and observe passes at this point if conductors are going to be collecting and inspecting fares on the train anyway?
Lines Frequented: SEPTA Trenton Line, West Trenton Line, Warminster Line; NJT Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line; Amtrak Northeast Corridor (PHL-NYP).
R3 Passenger

Postby RRspatch » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:47 pm

I think SEPTA is just closing the unofficial free fare zone between Market East station (or what ever it's called now) and 30th street station. Back in my Amtrak daze I lived in South Joisey and worked at 30th street station. On weekdays I would take PATCO to 8th and Market, walk through the Gallery and catch a regional rail train to 30th street. Just to play it safe I had purchased one ticket for that route but was NEVER ask to produce it between those two stations. This of course was much cheaper for me to do than taking the Market Frankfort line even though the subway was quicker. I guess this was the worst kept secret in Philadelphia.
Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel
Is just a freight train coming your way

No leaf clover ~ Metallica.
RRspatch

Postby CNJGeep » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:41 pm

R3 Passenger wrote:I understand that this program was begun last summer in response to the Silverliner 5 debacle since the shortage of cars led to crowded trains. It continued after regular schedules were restored. But why even keep people stationed at the platform entrances to punch tickets and observe passes at this point if conductors are going to be collecting and inspecting fares on the train anyway?

There has been a rather bad problem with over-riding in the PM Peak.
"Nobody wins unless everybody wins."
CNJGeep

Return to SEPTA (and PATCO)