Speeding between Creek Road and Baltimore Pk

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

Speeding between Creek Road and Baltimore Pk

Postby Blackstreet » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:14 pm

Whenever I am on the 102 Trolley en route to or toward Sharon Hill, I notice that the drivers like to fast-speed to the Baltimore Pike stop, especially when there is no person getting off at or waiting at Creek Road. When this happens, strangely, i like that but i also get scared that the trolley will derail if the driver goes too fast, especially since the tracks between the two stations are curved. It's kind of that roller coaster thrill when it happens! But i like it even more when it happens when I'm on a trolley en route to or toward 69th Street -- when a trolley picks up or drops off passengers at Baltimore Pike, accellerates toward Creek Road... no one boarding or getting off at Creek Road, then the trolley races really fast past Creek... so fast that i only get to see Darby Creek below the tracks for all but a quarter of a second... and I feel the trolley jerk a little because of the driver accelerating too fast, my heart races because i'm scared the trolley will fly off the tracks, but then they slow down when approaching the Marshall Road stop.

Does anyone else get that roller coaster vibe when this happens?
Last edited by Blackstreet on Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackstreet

Re: Speeding between Creek Road and Baltimore Pk

Postby Quinn » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:28 pm

Blackstreet wrote:... then the trolley races really fast past Creek... so fast that i only get to see that river thing below the tracks for all but a quarter of a second...

The "river thing" is a ...creek.
Quinn

Postby roadmaster » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:38 pm

Yes, rode the 102 under simular conditions recently, but no, nothing scary.

Surprised to hear such concern as the rail lines out of 69th have significantly slowed down in the septa days. Riding a Bullet on the P&W would have sent someone like you to the hospital.
A true Athearn was straight out of Compton.
roadmaster

Postby JeffK » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:45 pm

roadmaster wrote:Yes, rode the 102 under similar [simular] conditions recently, but no, nothing scary.

Surprised to hear such concern as the rail lines out of 69th have significantly slowed down in the septa days. Riding a Bullet on the P&W would have sent someone like you to the hospital.

I have a few late-60s and early-70s P&W schedules. Limiteds made the full run in 16 to 20 minutes. Today expresses need ~29 minutes for the same trip and most limiteds are around 25 minutes.*

Of course if the tracks get any worse additional slow orders will make 29 minutes seem speedy.

* Post corrected.
Last edited by JeffK on Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Requiem for it's/its, your/you're, than/then, less/fewer. They were once such nice words with such different meanings...
JeffK

Postby roadmaster » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:36 am

JeffK wrote:I have a few late-60s and early-70s P&W schedules. Limiteds made the full run in 16 to 20 minutes. Today expresses (limited are looong gone...) need ~29 minutes for the same trip.

Of course if the tracks get any worse additional slow orders will make 29 minutes seem speedy.

I thought they still have limiteds for AM service to N-town - at least by name. Your point still stands on the times though; just said.
A true Athearn was straight out of Compton.
roadmaster

Postby JeffK » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:42 pm

roadmaster - Corrected. Thanks for catching that goof. I was looking at a PDF schedule that didn't include trip designators. The print schedule still shows them.
Requiem for it's/its, your/you're, than/then, less/fewer. They were once such nice words with such different meanings...
JeffK

Return to SEPTA (and PATCO)