MFL Collision and Derailment - 69th Street

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

Re: MFL Collision and Derailment - 69th Street

Postby ekt8750 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:00 pm

philipmartin wrote:How about "sleep apnea" for the motorman who hit the train ahead?

Their ATC system should have kicked in and dumped the train before it got that close. I think the fault is in signal system.
ekt8750

Postby 34thStreet » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:33 pm

ekt8750 wrote:
philipmartin wrote:How about "sleep apnea" for the motorman who hit the train ahead?

Their ATC system should have kicked in and dumped the train before it got that close. I think the fault is in signal system.

Agreed, this is rather concerning, and I suppose luckily it didn't happen with full trains somewhere on the line. Also concerning that a dispatcher didn't notice that the other train hadn't cleared the loop before letting the other one proceed.
"Next stop, 34th Street! Exit for University City, Drexel University, and the University of Pennsylvania."
34thStreet

Postby zebrasepta » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:13 pm

a bit late but on of the operator seems to put into a coma
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/0 ... ing-crash/
Sources tell CBS 3 the train operator is veteran employee George Mink and that he is currently in a medically-induced coma at Lankenau Medical Center.
zebrasepta

Postby ekt8750 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:00 pm

34thStreet wrote:
ekt8750 wrote:

Agreed, this is rather concerning, and I suppose luckily it didn't happen with full trains somewhere on the line. Also concerning that a dispatcher didn't notice that the other train hadn't cleared the loop before letting the other one proceed.

Well that's all automated. The dispatcher can override the computer if they notice it in time but the computer handles the actual dispatching. The system shouldn't have permitted the train to enter the loop in the first place.
ekt8750

Previous

Return to SEPTA (and PATCO)