MFL M4 Car Cracks

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

MFL M4 Car Cracks

Postby 34thStreet » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:07 pm

Here we go again.... Septa discovers a crack in a beam on the Adtranz M4 cars used for the Market Frankford line. Sounds like it will be a fun commute tomorrow.

http://septa.org/mfl/supplemental-service.html
"Next stop, 34th Street! Exit for University City, Drexel University, and the University of Pennsylvania."
34thStreet

Re: MFL M4 Car Cracks

Postby Bill R. » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:59 pm

So the page says they need 144 peak period cars, and somewhere between 30 to 40 will not be available. Regarding the supplemental bus service, I see a forthcoming clusterf__k. Call me silly, but I think that I would try to run the regular schedule with 4 car trains, and insert full length trains intermittently as vehicle availability permits.

Thoughts?

(P.S. Yes, I actually am watching the Super Bowl now.)
Bill R.

Postby bikentransit » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:12 pm

The M4 fleet was 220 cars.
144 cars are needed peak. SEPTA is saying only 114 will be available. But they said only 20 cars are affected.
That means there are 86 cars which are OOS.
bikentransit

SEPTA's Crack Problem

Postby SemperFidelis » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:19 am

Here we go with the cracks in the railcars again. This time on the Market Frankford. As it is a news report and, thus, is nothing too technical, I am not sure if this is referencing cracks in the actual frame or if it a similar problem on the truck as was the case with the SLVs.

My excellent, wonderfully written, never typo-ridden, well staffed, witty, sometimes but never too often ironic Time Tribune of Scranton has this to say:

http://hosted2.ap.org/PASCR/a9680d76eb6 ... 9a100ba96b
SemperFidelis

Postby nomis » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:06 am

Not sure where you see the 20 car quantity, and who "they" are ...
Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.
nomis

Re: MFL M4 Car Crack problem: How many for service?

Postby MACTRAXX » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:23 am

Everyone:

Discovering this problem with cracks in M4 car bolster assemblies is a significant development -
I agree that it is good that this was found before something worse happened to get it corrected.

Winter - with added cold stresses on steel and metal fatigue could be a source of the cracks
and depending just how much rough winter weather remains for February and March - could
result in a car shortage depending on how many cars are sidelined to check and correct this
problem. Hopefully MFSE service impacts remain minimal on this busy route...

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Re: SEPTA's Crack Problem

Postby glennk419 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:18 pm

SemperFidelis wrote:Here we go with the cracks in the railcars again. This time on the Market Frankford. As it is a news report and, thus, is nothing too technical, I am not sure if this is referencing cracks in the actual frame or if it a similar problem on the truck as was the case with the SLVs.

This is a completely different problem. The SL-V's had cracks on the equalizer beams on the trucks themselves. This problem is cracks in the body bolster to which the trucks mount and is integral to the frame of the cars.
Glenn
glennk419

Postby NorthPennLimited » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:20 pm

Edward G. Budd must be laughing in his grave right now.
NorthPennLimited

Postby STrRedWolf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:42 pm

NorthPennLimited wrote:Edward G. Budd must be laughing in his grave right now.

And then he'd quickly shut up when we mention "The Maryland Contract". :)
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Postby 34thStreet » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:50 pm

I am normally riding the El at off-peak times, but today I happened to be on it during evening rush, and I saw no sign of the supplemental shuttle buses they mentioned. No Septa employees monitoring the loads on platforms that I could see, at least on the Market St. side of the line. The train was crowded to crush load but I think that is fairly typical for that time of the rush anyway. So the crack issue doesn't seem to be causing too much of a problem for service, at least not from my anecdotal observations. I did note a good amount of the M4's sitting in the yard from my vantage point on the P&W.
"Next stop, 34th Street! Exit for University City, Drexel University, and the University of Pennsylvania."
34thStreet

Postby ExCon90 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:01 pm

The shuttle buses are reported to be operating only east of 52nd St. and south of Girard, with trains stopping between those points only to discharge passengers inbound, and to receive outbound passengers at Center City stations; you might not see any buses if you're riding from 69th St.
ExCon90

Postby R3 Passenger » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:33 pm

My takeaway from everything that is going on is that these cracks were found as a result of last summer's Silverliner 5 debacle:
Jim Saska, Plan Philly wrote:Knueppel also said that SEPTA was undergoing a full inspection of its entire rail fleet. The authority had recently finished inspection of all 120 of its Silverliner V Regional Rail cars and its Broad Street subway fleet when these MFL car cracks were discovered. Once all 220 of the M4s (218 revenue service cars, plus one “cash” car and one “trash” car) are inspected fully, SEPTA will turn to the remaining Regional Rail fleet of Silverliner IVs, then the Norristown High Speed Line trains, and finally the trolley fleet.

Based on this, the Silverliner 5s are fixed, and the B4 cars have been cleared of structural defects. SEPTA does have spare N5s, but if they find a defect in those, I would expect service changes similar to today's MFL issue, with added emphasis on the Regional Rail.

However, if they find structural issues with the Silverliner 4s, God help us.
Lines Frequented: SEPTA Trenton Line, West Trenton Line, Warminster Line; NJT Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line; Amtrak Northeast Corridor (PHL-NYP).
R3 Passenger

Postby jackintosh11 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:40 pm

The IVs are true workhorses, but have been running since the 1970s without a full overhaul.
jackintosh11

Postby philipmartin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:54 am

philipmartin

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:19 pm

Watch BBD say the "warranty" has "expired",sorry :P
Backshophoss

Next

Return to SEPTA (and PATCO)