SEPTA and PTC (ACSES)

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

SEPTA and PTC (ACSES)

Postby jmatchesky » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:48 pm

Another poster pointed out in the leaf train thread that all SEPTA lines except West Trenton, Cynwyd, and main line between Kay and Jenkintown have PTC (ACES) at this point in time. Is this accurate? If so, it would seem SEPTA is doing better than some of the other commuter RR's on the east coast.
jmatchesky

Re: SEPTA and PTC (ACES)

Postby DutchRailnut » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:31 am

when you have new fleet and already have PTC equipment installed you are 50% ahead of game.
most other carriers have older fleets that need equipment installed.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby roadmaster » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:15 am

SEPTA was only 17% ahead of the game.
A true Athearn was straight out of Compton.
roadmaster

Postby South Jersey Budd » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:38 pm

Although I'm not %100 sure about the Airport line, all other SEPTA Controlled territory has PTC (ACES) cut in. West Trenton, Cynwyd and the trunk from Kay to Jenkin does not.

I think what also may have helped SEPTA get PTC installed so quickly was most of their lines were already equipped with cab signals with waysides or 562.
South Jersey Budd

Postby RailroadBear » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:57 pm

As of 10/20/16, the Airport Line does have PTC (ACSES) installed.
RailroadBear

Postby RailroadBear » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:01 pm

To correct my previous post, the Airport Branch has ACSES active as of 10/10/16.

Also, Effective 10/24/2016, The Neshaminy Branch will have ACSES active. The Neshaminy Branch will be the final [Septa owned] Branch with ACSES.

Activating ACSES on the Main Line is the next SEPTA venture.
RailroadBear

Postby Silverliner II » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:00 am

As of 10/24/2016
Cynwyd (still the Ivy Ridge Line in the ETT) is not ACSES-equipped yet.
The following line segments are not yet ACSES-active (not counting the lower Main Line):
Airport: 60th Street North to Phil
Chestnut Hill East: Wayne to Wind
Chestnut Hill West: Lehigh to More
West Chester: Schuylkill to Arsenal
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed full quote of immediately preceding post (nesting)
"*BEEEEEP!!!* Three-Three! Three! No Alarms!"
(announcement from CN hotbox/dragging equipment detector, Milepost 33, track #3, Oakville Subdivision)
Silverliner II

Postby Amtrak7 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:32 am

Where are WIND and MORE? Not on the map I have.
Amtrak7

Postby amtrakhogger » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:30 am

Wind used to be an interlocking console located in Wayne tower. Did they reuse the name for a new interlocking?
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I will stop at St. Avold."
amtrakhogger

Postby westernfalls » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:43 am

Wind is a pair of crossovers just north of Wayne Junction on the Chestnut Hill East branch.
More is a pair of crossovers just east of the former Westmoreland station on the Chestnut Hill West branch.
westernfalls

Postby Silverliner II » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:59 am

And both of those interlockings went into place as their respective branches were upgraded to Rule 562 and cab signaling. WIND has the additional purpose to allow southbound trains from Chestnut Hill East to cross over to platform at Wayne Junction after it went high-level.
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(announcement from CN hotbox/dragging equipment detector, Milepost 33, track #3, Oakville Subdivision)
Silverliner II

Re: SEPTA and PTC (ACSES)

Postby Amtrak7 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:47 pm

PTC goes live on Cynwyd today.

Silverliner II wrote:And both of those interlockings went into place as their respective branches were upgraded to Rule 562 and cab signaling.

That would explain my original confusion.
Amtrak7

Postby South Jersey Budd » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:02 pm

SEPTA's ACSES system is being programmed to enforce a 5mph maximum authorized speed approaching all bumpers. I not believe it will be a positive stop, just a permanent speed restriction of 5mph. The 5mph restriction is now in service on the Airport Line for testing.

I almost misspelled ACSES again so I could see more of Bob's pictures.
South Jersey Budd

Postby NorthPennLimited » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:21 pm

Can somebody give a simple explanation how PTC / ACSES works at the bumper at the Airport?

Is this in response to the NJT incident at Hoboken?

It was my understanding that ACSES only works on main track territory, and the Airport terminal stops are in non-main track territory. How is the system enforcing 5mph at the bumpers down at the Airport?

In my head, I'm picturing they upgraded the Airport bumpers like the stub tracks at Baltimore where the trains enter a stub track under a slow approach with a stop signal at the bumper.
NorthPennLimited

Postby Silverliner II » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:41 am

NorthPennLimited wrote:Can somebody give a simple explanation how PTC / ACSES works at the bumper at the Airport?

Is this in response to the NJT incident at Hoboken?

It was my understanding that ACSES only works on main track territory, and the Airport terminal stops are in non-main track territory. How is the system enforcing 5mph at the bumpers down at the Airport?

In my head, I'm picturing they upgraded the Airport bumpers like the stub tracks at Baltimore where the trains enter a stub track under a slow approach with a stop signal at the bumper.

All they would need, really, are the appropriate transponders. At the airport, trains come through Airport Junction on a Slow Approach, then exit the block at the south end of the Terminal C-D platform. Presumably, the ACSES transponders beyond will be programmed to enforce a 5mph civil speed like they would enforce appropriate track speeds on the rest of the system.

As an aside: In general, since PTC is supposed to work in dark territory as well, to prevent overruns of authority at block stations, there is nothing to prevent installing it on station tracks or other running tracks as needed if a railroad wants to take certain extra precautions.
Silverliner II

Next

Return to SEPTA (and PATCO)